Rear Deck Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Deck Speakers

I'm looking into picking up some nicer coax speakers for my rear deck and am not sure how to find 5 1/4" speakers that will fit. I can drill holes if need be... my concern is that the size of the magnet in some of the speakers might keep it from dropping down into place.

Crutchfield says these won't fit. I'm thinking that they won't fit in the kick panel but might drop into the rear deck just fine. Also, are these speakers really that much better than the average $89 alpine two ways? I get the rear fill thing but still want something nicer back there. I plugged in a few premium sounds that I got from the salvage yard last summer and really wasn't pleased with them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

PS. I've been more of a R3V lurker since I joined... but that's only because I always get such great answers from threads that already exist. Gonna post pics of my 1989 325is soon with a list of all the improvements I've made to this car including my new LUKE BOX! Cheers!

I went with Infinity reference 5 1/4's fit perfect, had to lift the stock premium grill up about 1/4 inch to clear the top of the woofer

Comment

i have rockford fosgate components 6 1/2" and the magnet has plenty of room and its a pretty big ass magnet, i believe there is like a 4.5" mounting depth in the rear of these cars BUT i had to modify my rear deck so the basket would fit. lol
      sigpic
      ^Back in the game^
      BUILD THREAD: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201281
      FS thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214105

Comment

Today I found out that just about any 5 1/4" speaker will definitely drop into the rear deck. The limitations come into play when one is trying to fit them into a Premium Sound enclosure. Picked up a nice set of JL's (Coax) on sale at a stereo shop today. They sound pretty damn incredible compared to the Pioneers that came with the car. So far I am noticing WAY more detail now. I also got an Alpine amp to power the front Infinity References and they sound a hell of a lot better now not to mention better head room.

Comment

Working...
        X