Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anything to hold down the deck/mp3/cd player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anything to hold down the deck/mp3/cd player?

my deck keep on slowly sliding out. not all the way out but it doesn't look good. is there a bracket of any kind to hold it in place? realoem is no help..
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

do you have the stock headunit in it?

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
      do you have the stock headunit in it?
      no, when i bought the car it already have a cd player in it..

Comment

There's a cage the headunit sits in, which I believe are manufacturer specific....take the deck out of the cage and look at the two tabs on the side of the cage. You can use your hand and tweak them to the inner part of the cage a little (so they can 'catch' the slots in the deck), slide the deck in and see if it catches onto them. However once you do that and it actually catches you will need a "key" to remove it by sliding those tabs off of where they latch onto the deck, which I believe are manufacturer specific also, although I have used old gift cards and cut them up thin enough to slide into the space...
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
          There's a cage the headunit sits in, which I believe are manufacturer specific....take the deck out of the cage and look at the two tabs on the side of the cage. You can use your hand and tweak them to the inner part of the cage a little (so they can 'catch' the slots in the deck), slide the deck in and see if it catches onto them. However once you do that and it actually catches you will need a "key" to remove it by sliding those tabs off of where they latch onto the deck, which I believe are manufacturer specific also, although I have used old gift cards and cut them up thin enough to slide into the space...

i don't see a cage??

Comment

What kind of stereo is it? Like what brand? Each brand has its own sleeve. If its a pioneer look for pioneer sleeve, if its an alpine look for an alpine sleeve, etc. Hope that helps, oh also make sure to get the keys with them as well. Each sleeve has its own set of keys/tabs to unlock stereo from sleeve

Comment

the cage, or sleeve is what the deck slides into, its in the dash, not seen from the outside, if it wasnt there your deck would slope upward as the rear would fall... all new decks come with them, so either the PO just slide it in the old hole or there is one there
              1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

or

that silver piece where the wires go through into the dash is the sleeve or cage

they are not vehicle specific unless you have double DIN sized deck
                1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

my new deck didn't some with any sleeve. the old one doesn't have one either. where would the sleeve bolt to?

Comment

it doesnt bolt in, it uses all the triangle shaped pieces...they are bent to create pressure against the opening, where did you get your new deck?
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

can you take a picture of the current setup as the OP left it and a picture of your new deck
                      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

it doesnt bolt in, it uses all the triangle shaped pieces...they are bent to create pressure against the opening, where did you get your new deck?

i got it online. pretty different then my previous 240. the 240 one bolt up to a bracket and the sleeve hold it. ok i got it now. weird!! the deck came with two locking key for the sleeve..

Comment

yeah the sleeve will be attached to the deck in the factory packaging, at a glimpse it looks like its part of the deck, but if you slide those keys into the slots ont he side you will hear/feel it disengage, then basically you use those triangle tabs and bend them to fit and stay in your radio opening then slide the deck in and it sticks
                          1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

yeah the sleeve will be attached to the deck in the factory packaging, at a glimpse it looks like its part of the deck, but if you slide those keys into the slots ont he side you will hear/feel it disengage, then basically you use those triangle tabs and bend them to fit and stay in your radio opening then slide the deck in and it sticks
                            got it, thanks. quite different. i have installed many different deck and never had to use the triangle...

Comment

1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X