Noob questions about amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob questions about amps.

I basically got for free a old alpine amp. A mrv-f353.

I wanted to know what i could do with this is amp, and if it is worth me even keeping it. If i got another amp just for the subwoofers could i use this just for my mids and highs? please let me know thank you!

Specifications from the manufacturer:
    Power Output: RMS Continuous Power (at 14.4V, 20Hz to 20kHz) 50W per Channel into 4 ohms (CH1 – CH4); 150W (CH5)
    Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 50 kHz (+0, -1db)
    Signal to Noise Ratio: (referenced to rated power) 100 dBA
    Slew Factor: Greater than 5
    Input Sensitivity (for rated power output) 200mV to 4.0V (1.0V at center detent)
    Input Impedance: Line in: 10K ohms / Speaker In: 15 ohms
    Speaker Impedance: 4 or 2 ohms (Stereo), 4 ohms (Bridged)
    Active Dividing Network Frequency and Slope: 50 to 200 Hz, 12dB per octave
    Dimensions: 10 1/4 x 2 3/8 x 15 5/8 (W x H x D)

yes
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Yeah, as long as you aren't a basshead.

Grab a decent deck with 3 pair of RCAs, a SVC 10" and one of my boxes, you could have a pretty impressive sound.

If you listen to rap, just sell it.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

BTW: if you really aren't into big bass: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...46#post2527946

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          Yeah, as long as you aren't a basshead.

Grab a decent deck with 3 pair of RCAs, a SVC 10" and one of my boxes, you could have a pretty impressive sound.

If you listen to rap, just sell it.
          Without the T/S Parameters of the sub how do you know your box will be good?

Comment

Luke's box will sound good with just about anything. Even a $30 .6 ish qts Coustic sub

Just grab something you like. Infinity 1062w is good for price or that Obcon is the shit apparently

Comment

Luke i love your box, but i already made a box with a friend of mine. 2 kicker comp's the dual voice coil ones and a nice jl monoblock amp.

I read that the stock premium sound speakers sound great with some crossovers installed.

Does anyone have more info on this? I kind of don't want to upgrade those speakers.

Thanks so much for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by BUBBASGOPED View Post
                Without the T/S Parameters of the sub how do you know your box will be good?
                Well, just so you know, most manufacturers basically lie anyway. They use "computer modeling" for the driver parameters.

Back when I lived half a mile from Vance Dickason, I used to get woofers tested for true T/S parameters, most were pretty far off.

Especially after they broke in

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                  Luke i love your box
                  Don't ever say that to another man.

Seriously though, if you have any kind of bass power, just ignore that 5th channel, or sell the amp. If you were closer I would trade you for the Alpine in my wifeys car, it it 4 channel and would suit your needs better.

Set your "high pass" on whatever amp you get to about 125Hz, so your PS speakers will live longer.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Alright, heres a n00b question: If i want to rock a 12" Sub and want it to BUMP, what channel amp would i need and how much watts would be too much?
                    sigpic
                    Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

^ you would have to tell us what sub. So we know the rms and peak power. ( i think )

Thanks luke! Ill be sure to set my high pass filter to 125hz on the 4 channel. Do you suggest it to be a bit higher or longer for longevity of the speakers?

I already got another amp just for the subwoofers. Im interested in the trade of amps if you need my 5 channel one. I dont mind shipping it. What benefit would your wife's amp have over mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine30 Wolf View Post
                        Alright, heres a n00b question: If i want to rock a 12" Sub and want it to BUMP, what channel amp would i need and how much watts would be too much?
                        Basically, how it works is you match the amp to the sub.

So, you figure out how much "loud" you want, what the budget is, and what kind of goodies you can score that are good/cheap and worth using.

Let me explain why: Let us use a typical 1200 watt "Class D" Mono (true 1 channel) amp, the Exile XP1200.1

If you use a single 12" on it, you have choices.

Lets say you get a JBL "Power 1222" woofer. It is dual voice coil, 2 ohms per coil. You can connect that to the amp 2 different ways. You can series the 2 coils and end up at 4 ohms, or parallel them to get 1 ohm. (No other choices exist for that particular combo)

So the 1200.1 will make 1200 watts on a 1 ohm load.

It will make 600 watts on a 2 ohm load

or 300 watts on a 4 ohm load

Now lets say you did something dreadfully stupid like a JL 12W6 original. It is dual 6 ohm. You could wire those in series and get 12 ohms. That load would cause that same amp to make 100 watts on that 12 ohm load.

So, did you catch all of that? The load determines how much power an amp makes, unless you put too much strain on it and let all of the smoke out. That is why you need to match the woofer to the amp first.

Then match the woofer to the box, then the box to the car, assuming everything fits.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                        X