Wiring harness for stereo wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring harness for stereo wiring

I have the aftermarket speaker connectors but does anyone have a connection kit to make it more like a modern car? So you can run all the factory wires into this connector? From that connector solder the wires coming out of the aftermarket HU. Just looking to clean things up a bit, even though it's behind the radio, it still bugs me for it to look like a rat's nest. Figure I could piece something together from radio shack but it would be nice if someone made a kit for the E30.

Also, my HU only has one blue wire coming out. Says it's for a power antenna or amp remote. If I hook that wire to the antenna AND amp remote, will the amp turn on no matter if you're using the tuner or CD?

1987 325e with standard 4 speaker system.

That is curious. So it is designed to raise the antenna when you play a CD?

Most HUs the blue wire is battery + when the HU is turned on. This is designed to turn on remote equipment (amplifier). Is there a white wire from HU for antenna operation only when radio function selected?

Comment

Originally posted by klavender1 View Post
      I have the aftermarket speaker connectors but does anyone have a connection kit to make it more like a modern car? So you can run all the factory wires into this connector? From that connector solder the wires coming out of the aftermarket HU. Just looking to clean things up a bit, even though it's behind the radio, it still bugs me for it to look like a rat's nest. Figure I could piece something together from radio shack but it would be nice if someone made a kit for the E30.

Also, my HU only has one blue wire coming out. Says it's for a power antenna or amp remote. If I hook that wire to the antenna AND amp remote, will the amp turn on no matter if you're using the tuner or CD?

1987 325e with standard 4 speaker system.
      No, unfortunately, there isn't and cannot be. Your stock deck fed 2 channels into the fader, the fader send signal to an amp (if you had one, which you don't) or to the speakers.

Left and right, front and rear all share a single ground wire, but that is split left and right just behind the fader, roughly 3" down the harness.

The easiest thing for you to do is use the wires found in that fader harness. Unwrap it until you see the junction of the grounds and cut out that junction.

You can then use the rear wires (yes, black stripe is positive; BMW does not give a shit what Japan thinks) and run new wires to the front speakers.

If you want to go through the hassle of running wires to the correct junction point, it is under the carpet by your drivers seat.

Later cars had it easier, in fact, very late cars have 8 speaker wires just like modern cars.

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
      That is curious. So it is designed to raise the antenna when you play a CD?

Most HUs the blue wire is battery + when the HU is turned on. This is designed to turn on remote equipment (amplifier). Is there a white wire from HU for antenna operation only when radio function selected?
      No, and no.

Decks that come with a blue/white often have a blue for power antenna output. Sometimes, the assholes at Alpine will make a deck that has an antenna output only, so it cannot be used with an amp at all.

Either way, the dedicated power antenna output is a fairly new thing.

His deck simply has 1 output. The antenna will be up while listening to CD/AUX. What I do to combat this is install a switch to lower the antenna.

Since I think the circuit breaker for the windows is retarded, I "re-purpose" that.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I hooked the amp remote wire and power antenna wire to the blue wire coming out of the HU. I haven't hooked up the amp yet as it's just going to be for a subwoofer in the trunk. I just wanted to pre-wire everything. Yes, the antenna stays up as long as the unit is on regardless of CD/Tuner/Aux. No big deal. Don't feel like wiring up a switch just for that right now. I did like you said though and ran new wires for the front speakers. So now everything has it's on ground. I bought a GM harness while I was at the stereo shop. They're going to order me the vehicle side of that harness. I need to find the little females clips and crimp them on the vehicle side to push into that connector they ordered. I figure as long as the wiring matches up, I should be good. I don't know why I can't just use electrical tape like everyone else. :=) I have to use solder, heat shrink, connectors, etc. and it's a lot more work. I hate the crimp on connectors that I'm using now.

Edit: I got rid of the fader

Comment

Why wire a GM plug in, just for the quick disconnect aspect?

Your deck unplugs, right? Having an extra socket shoved in the left side is not going to be convenient!

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
          X