Droid to amp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Droid to amp problem

In the past – with the system I have – I’ve ran RCA cables up to the dash for signal input.

From the RCA cables – I’ll either plug in signal from the deck – or I’d use a headphone jack to RCA adapter for various mp3 players.

For some reason – my Droid Incredible doesn’t seem to be working. Deck signal works fine. Amp works fine. I can see the Droid ‘playing’ a song – but it’s like the amp isn’t receiving the signal. I’ve also tested things out while the Droid is plugged into a charger. No dice.

I’ve tried several different headphone jack to RCA adapters with no success.

As for the Droid – I’ve hooked it up to all manner of earbuds, headphones, home stereos, and portable speakers – and they all worked fine.

Any ideas?
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

I bet the ground on the droid isn't getting to the ground on the amp.

If you have some head phone you don't care about - cut it off, strip the wire...oh and I guess you'd need a pair of rca's...anyways...you're a big boy...you can figure it out.

The sleeve - it needs to be grounded to the car's (or amp's - same thing) ground I bet. I'd bet what is happening is that the amp you are using doesn't connect the outside part of the RCA's to ground on the amp - they are connected to nothing, to avoid ground loops.

Anyways - at one end or the other, grounds aren't connected.
    Last edited by Mikhail Bakunin; 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

If what you say is true - then I'm puzzed as to why the assortment of minidisc (yes - i'm old), discman, and mp3 players have worked in the past..

Comment

delete
        Last edited by Mikhail Bakunin; 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Minidisc was the bomb. why did it bomb though? seemed like a better more reliable format than cds.

Anyway, Why dont you just run the droid into the Aux input of the deck, or is your deck too old?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Bakunin
            With this exact same set up? Well that would have been helpful info to tell us up front? Don't ya think?
            Originally posted by Simon S
            From the RCA cables – I’ll either plug in signal from the deck – or I’d use a headphone jack to RCA adapter for various mp3 players.
            Originally posted by Mikhail Bakunin
            So if you plug in something else - this exact set up works?
            Same deck. Same amp. Same RCA cables for that matter. To be honest – I have yet to dig up any of my old portables for further testing – which I will be doing tomorrow.
            Originally posted by bimmer630
            Minidisc was the bomb. why did it bomb though? seemed like a better more reliable format than cds.
            Yeah – I was always bummed they never came out with a minidisc drive for computers. The recording in real time was the biggest drag.
            Originally posted by bimmer630
            Anyway, Why dont you just run the droid into the Aux input of the deck, or is your deck too old?
            Yep. Old deck. No aux input on it.

Comment

Couple things .

IF you get sound from the droid via headphones then you know sound is coming out. Then take a look at the connector that the droid uses...it might be a little different from the mini stereo jack... since sometimes these act as video output as well and they are actually 3pin+ground and not 2+ground.

Are you using Head units aux in ? You are not switching the rca's from the headunit going to the amp between the headunit and droid or are you? It doesn't sound like you are (since you'll need to control amp's remote turn on wire), but I wanted to confirm.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean
                Couple things .

IF you get sound from the droid via headphones then you know sound is coming out. Then take a look at the connector that the droid uses...it might be a little different from the mini stereo jack... since sometimes these act as video output as well and they are actually 3pin+ground and not 2+ground.

Are you using Head units aux in ? You are not switching the rca's from the headunit going to the amp between the headunit and droid or are you? It doesn't sound like you are (since you'll need to control amp's remote turn on wire), but I wanted to confirm.
                Hmmm.. I’ll be taking a closer look at the jacks tomorrow.

Head unit is older with no aux in.

Basically, RCAs are routed to glove box from amp and from head unit. When I want to use an mp3 player, I unplug the head unit’s RCA and swap in the headphone-jack-to-RCA-adapter. In this scenario, I turn the head unit on – and its only purpose is for its turn-on lead to turn the amp on. It’s crude – but in the past, it has worked fine.

Comment

Well, I bet the Droid just does not have enough balls to run it.

Get something like an Audiocontrol Four.1

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks Luke – was hoping you’d chime in.

So it’s likely I’ll need a ‘preamp’?
                    Was afraid of that..

That Audiocontrol Four.1 is a little rich for my blood right now. Let me know if you recommend anything very simple/affordable that will do the trick..

Comment

Man – I think what I’m looking for is a little box with two wires for power and ground – and in/out RCA jacks.

.. and mostly what I’m finding are those ghey-ass EQ boosters

Comment

$60: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Aww.. thanks man. Perfect. Even a brand I dig..

<3 <3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            Well, I bet the Droid just does not have enough balls to run it.
                            I'm sorry - but this is not correct...

Comment

Did not say it was the only answer, did not say it was in fact "the issue", but he needs something anyway, that lineamp/volume control is cheap and works well.

EDIT: Simon, you do understand something else is wrong too, correct? Get that old MD player out.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X