How do I set up my sub amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I set up my sub amp?

It's nothing special. Just an older Sony Xplod XM1502SX. It says 760w bridged but only tests at 380w bridged. Which is fine with me. It's pushing a 12" kicker in a non ported box. I would like know the best settings for the amp. I don't care about a lot of bass just wanted it a little cleaner. I have the level only set half way so I don't run the risk of blowing the sub.
    The settings on the amp are:

Cut-off frequency adjustment control 50hz-300hz

Low pass filter - off - high pass filter

Low boost (40hz) 0db - +10db

Level Min-Max

The rest of the car I'm running a Dual HU (nothing fancy, got it and the kicker on sale at Best Buy for $99) that's powering front Kenwood 5.25", premium stock tweeters, and 5x7 JL Audios in the rear shelf. The car had no system at all when I bought it so it's been pieced together over the years. I've had the JL's about 11 years and they still sound great. The Kenwoods center tweeter sticks out a little and the trim piece bulges a little over the speakers so I'm sure that doesn't help. Also I have the bass on the HU at +1 (out of +6) and treble at +5. The sub output from the HU can be adjusted from off to +12. I usually keep it at +8. Any help from the gurus here? I'm ok with the sound now but I'm always looking to maximize the use of what I've got.

Any ideas on setting up the amp for clean bass? Just trying to do the best with what I've got. Thanks.

Comment

whats the HU model? You're going to want at least a 4v sub output if you are looking for a clean sound.. preferable something higher. also, whats the kicker model/size? Look up the the frequency output and adjust your settings to match.. thats a good start..
      1988 M6 - The real project.
      1993 325i Vert - Project/Weekender
      2013 ATS 2.0T - DD
      1997 740i - sold
      1987 325is Turbo -sold
      1991 325ix - Sold
      1990 m50 325is - sold
      1987 535is - sold

Comment

It's a DUAL XHD7714. It has 3 preamp out. Front, rear, and Sub. Book says it's 2V "line output voltage". I guess that's what you mean. The Kicker is a Comp 12.
        Links:
        HU: http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xhd7714.php
        Sub: http://www.kicker.com/comp

Does that help?

Comment

Set the crossover (low pass) at 90hz or so, turn Low boost off.
          '96 328is
          '97 m3
          '04 zhp

Comment

Cool! Thanks!

Comment

[shameless plug]
              Keep in mind the cheapest HUGE upgrade you can do is one of my boxes...it will double if not triple your bass output, meaning you amp will not have to work so hard, thus WAY better clarity and much cleaner bass.

[/shameless plug[

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Luke I would love too. Right after the suspension rebuild, oil leaks, etc., etc., etc. :D It is on my to do list. I have a box not really made for a 12". I'm going to make port holes in the seat as well. I played with the settings some on the amp. It's cleaner but not as loud. And what I've learned hear, louder does not mean better.

Comment

Working...
                X