Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How high to mount my sub?

How high should I be making my box?
    I was thinking build the sides 8" high. That would give me 6" of space to the top of my trunk, and 16" of mounting depth.

My sub will be firing straight up, should I try to angle it? Like build 1 side 10 inches and the other side 6 inches?

Once I figure out the outside dimensions, I can work on a port. I just don't want to have my sub sitting 1 inch away from the roof, or will that not affect it?

I could easily move it down... My plan for this box is to run a single DD 9515... only need 8 3/4" mounting depth for that...

How important is it to have space in the trunk not taken up by the box?

dimensions should be dictated by the required air volume the sub needs given the design of the box. A ported box will require more air, and a sealed box will require less air.
    Below the radar...

Comment

Idealy you want the sub to me mounted on a horizontal face, or on a obtuse angle.

otherwise it is fighting gravity, with a result of reduced output.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
        otherwise it is fighting gravity, with a result of reduced output.
        Only 1/2 the time, the other 1/2 gravity is helping it. In otherwords, gravity is not the issue.

Comment

Well what is the issue then Ferg?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

The only down-sides of mounting subs facing up are; even more rattles as they are often hitting directly at the trunk lid, and the chance of debris falling onto the cone and rattling.

Comment

So facing it up is completely fine?

The main thing I'm wondering is: Do I need space outside of the box?
              I don't think having the sub 1 inch away from the top of my trunk could be all that good, but the farther I go down, the more airspace of my box I lose.

Comment

As long as at ful excursion the sub doesn't hit anything it should be fine.

Rattles are another story.

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BMXER
                  As long as at ful excursion the sub doesn't hit anything it should be fine.

Rattles are another story.
                  Holy shit If I can find a sub with over 6" of excursion...

Comment

Working...
                  X