Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New radio install for my 325is - premium sound )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New radio install for my 325is - premium sound )

So recently I picked up a 325is w/ Premium sound and when I went to listen to it there was this piercing sound.
    Sometimes it was worse sometimes it was less, sometimes it wasn't even there.

Stock Radio

So after tons of searching and posting a video for you guys to diagnose we determined it was the amp and I had either,
    replace the amp ( stupid ) or replace the head-unit and amp.

I elected for the later as I dont even own tapes anymore. So my hunt began for a new head-unit but I had some requirements that were non negotiable.
    • Had to match the BMW illumination ( or be pretty close ) Nothing more annoying than green buttons when everything is amber.
    • Had to work with iPod/iPhone ( i have a lot of music on an iPod )
    • Had to sound good! ( dont need explaining here )
    • Couldn't be super expensive ( im not cheap but wasnt looking to go crazy )

I did some research and saw a ton of people recommended a used Nakamichi but they were pricey and from what I read had issues over time,
    My second pick was either a BMW Business CD43 or C33 modified for AUX input but these were pricey for the performance + I would have to dremel my dash to fix it.

After posting about the problems I was having with the stock unit Luke ( stereoinstaller1 ) recommended a Pioneer DEH-6300UB for good sound quality,
    price and a good overall match in the E30 dash.

So while at the local Best Buy I went and checked it out in person and liked it so I went online and found it for $129.99 here : http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EH-6300UB.html

Best buy price matched it and I was on my way, It helped not needing to purchase a mount kit as the E30 takes a DIN radio perfect without one and also
    not needing a wire harness or antenna adaptor since we will be modifying the stock wiring to eliminate the amp.

First I removed the stock radio by popping open the two tabs and inserting the appropriate allen key, radio slid right out.

( ignore the shift knob I just got the car and it was on it ) Being replaced with ZHP knob.

At first I was like wholly crap what a mess where do I start, but after looking I see they had some sort of common ground we
    could eliminate and also that the power / remote / antenna power were all separate from the twisted pair stereo wires.

So after separating and taping the wires a little everything was nice and neat. I then proceeded to connect all the wires per
    the sticky for bypassing the amp which worked 100% perfect.

Cool its install time, When installing I looked at it and thought hmmm theres gotta be something I can do to calm it down a little.
    It looks good but could look better :

Its the trim ring! Its flat which fits the dash nice but its shiny. I know the radio is too but cant really change that.. What to do? hmm.

Sand / Prime / Paint w Krylon fusion satin black for plastics..

Painted & Installed

Cool now that we have the front installed time for the trunk.. Process in a nutshell :

Removed drivers side carpet, removed antenna ( 2 bolts + wire harness etc )
    Removed one bolt holding amp and then unplugged amp and throw into the closest garbage.

Separate the wires out :

Taped the Amp ( turn-on / Ground / Power ) out of the way which leaves just the twisted pairs behind. Now wires these up per the "Amp bypass Sticky "

Button up trunk and we should be in business!! All I can say is WOW after a little playing with the settings the premium sound speakers come to
    life with a new headunit.. A 5 channel amp and a Luke box may be in my future sooner than im thinking but this sounds great for what it is.

One of the beauties of this unit is the colors can be changed to not just amber / green but to 1000s of color shades and the Keys and LCD can be changed separately.

These are the settings that worked best for me matching the stock lights
    • LCD - R 35 / G 10 / B 5
    • Keys - R 16 / G 12 / B 11

After setting these up your unit should look like this ) pics can be deceiving it matches almost 100% perfect!
    I tried to match the keys to the buttons on the dash and the LCD to the clock.

Its wierd why my camera detects the hvac buttons as yellow but you can see the USB logo is the same.

Hope this thread helps anyone else looking to replace there radio with something much nicer and rather cheap with good results,
    If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by QUiKSR20; 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM.
    DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
    95 325i E36 5MT Vert
    89 325is ( sold )
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
    - DET Build Thread
    sigpic

Bravo!

Thanks a lot for the writeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Modena NYC View Post
      Bravo!

Thanks a lot for the writeup.
      No problem hope it helps... Sounds great
      DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
      95 325i E36 5MT Vert
      89 325is ( sold )
      92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
      - DET Build Thread
      sigpic

Comment

Great job on the writeup.

BTW: it is WAY easier if you start your install by cutting ALL of the wires (not antenna plug or RCAs, duh) to the same length, so all of your butt splices line up.

Great job though, very nice and detailed.

You will be stunned when you do the sub and amp. Since only some 5 channel amps have a "4 channel" input mode, make sure whatever you choose has that AND a remote sub level controller.

Yes, that super-cheap but awesome Jensen has those features.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Great idea on the trim ring, I will remember that when I do mine.

Looking at these pics remind me that some of my hvac controls have lights out, fml

Comment

Must comment that the trim ring looks spectacular after your tweak to it. Bravo and good job on the write up, and to Luke, cause you know your biz.
            Been with me for 16 years...
            sigpic
            Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

Thanks! I'll def Look into that Jensen amp and a Luke box in the future.. What model is the amp? If I was to redo it I'd splice it more even up front. In the rear I chopped it straight across nice and clean...

Couldn't of done it as easy without Lukes expertise!!
              DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
              95 325i E36 5MT Vert
              89 325is ( sold )
              92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
              - DET Build Thread
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                Great idea on the trim ring, I will remember that when I do mine.

Looking at these pics remind me that some of my hvac controls have lights out, fml
                Thanks dude! This E30 is new and a ton of fun to me... This is a great forum, while doing the
                radio install I fixed all illumination problems I had in HVAC /Ashtrays / Headlight Switch etc.
                Last edited by QUiKSR20; 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM.
                DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
                95 325i E36 5MT Vert
                89 325is ( sold )
                92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
                - DET Build Thread
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
                  Thanks! I'll def Look into that Jensen amp and a Luke box in the future.. What model is the amp? If I was to redo it I'd splice it more even up front. In the rear I chopped it straight across nice and clean...

Couldn't of done it as easy without Lukes expertise!!
                  Thanks, guys.

Actually, all of your connections will be in the trunk, since the 5 channel will run all of the speakers.

You will need to run RCAs and the remote sub level controller cable. All 8 speaker wires and the remote turn-on wires come from the stock amp wiring.

If you use one of my amp racks, you get the power and ground for the fans there too. Power for the LED strip comes from the trunk light circuit, all connections in the trunk lid, at the stock light.

That amp I am talking about is the Jensen Power 5500: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110PWR5...=%7bkeyword%7d

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have that exact same HU and I love it.

Comment

After reading this thread I looked online and purchased the same headunit. I really liked the BMW CD-43 unit but it is just wayyy too much money. thanks for the thread and helping me select a good unit which doesnt look to wild.

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
                        After reading this thread I looked online and purchased the same headunit. I really liked the BMW CD-43 unit but it is just wayyy too much money. thanks for the thread and helping me select a good unit which doesnt look to wild.
                        No problem, Glad it helped.. I too was looking into the CD43 and also the CD33 Tape player but couldn't see spending more money than this with less features and more work to do..

Def paint the trim ring as it quiets down the look substantially.
                        DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
                        95 325i E36 5MT Vert
                        89 325is ( sold )
                        92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
                        - DET Build Thread
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
                          No problem, Glad it helped.. I too was looking into the CD43 and also the CD33 Tape player but couldn't see spending more money than this with less features and more work to do..

Def paint the trim ring as it quiets down the look substantially.
                          People want close to 300 dollars for the CD-43 unit then after the ipod integrations ect ect it was just WAYYY too much $$$.

Seeing what is looked after you painted the trim is what really sold me on the unit. But what got me to buy the unit within 5min of seeing this thread was this picture.

Thanks again.

I have a 10year old Alpine HU in now anything additional that I would need to install this?

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Wow that HU matches up really well with the BMW amber and it has Pandora control - but does anyone know if it can Bluetooth stream with the optional bluetooth add-on module?
                            I want a headunit that I don't have to plug in on the front-panel an iPod connection.
                            - Frank
                            '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                            http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                            Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

That I do not know but if anyone finds out please share, USB ports on the front is def a dumb design. They should be on the back too atleast I would love to have the cable hidden.
                              DG.

13 328i F30 6MT Tuned
                              95 325i E36 5MT Vert
                              89 325is ( sold )
                              92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET
                              - DET Build Thread
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X