Subs inside the Cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subs inside the Cabin

Well I know I've been a lot of talk around this forum with car audio and that has mostly been because I haven't had the income to make the ideas into reality. So I finally got that job and enough with this back story.

Luke, I know that you mentioned this before but if you can again, how realistic would it be to fiberglass an enclosure in the rear door card area? For sealed enclosure putting SI BM's would fit the bill perfectly! Or even imagine putting some Dynaudio's MW 182's in which case, since they work perfect for IB, then essentially just mounting them to a sturdy baffle would be one of the few things to tackle.

I'm going to take a look again back there but I feel like this becomes more of a mounting, bracing and deadening issue. No real purpose to this thread other then to talk about how insane it would be.

To give you a better picture I've decided with going with these guys in the front of the car.

Unit: Alpine 9835
    Tweeter: SB acoustics Neo
    Midrange: TB W-3
    Woofer: Exodus Anarchy

What do you think?

Side note: I messaged Exodus about fitment space and they say that as long as you can get it into some sort of sealed enclosure, the f3 won't be hurt too much since the low frequency roll off is dominated by the motor, which is a big baby. I think I can scratch .22-.24 in kick pod space sealed before drive displacement if I would take out the dead pedal and redo the hood release.
    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM.

Something like what I am doing? I am just getting started and don't have a hige amount of time to work on it. Currently waiting for some fiberglassing supplies to come in so I can start the layup.

Comment

exactly. I bet your going to secure the baffle+panel better to the car too? How so?

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

That is just taped off for the fiberglass. The baffle will be either 1 or 2 layers of 3/4 MDF. I will use aluminium brackets with threaded inserts to bolt the sub box right to the cars structure. I am hoping my supplies show up this week so I can lay the 'glass on Sunday and have the boxes done for next monday.

The factory panel with the modified grille will still attach using the factory clips.

Comment

Originally posted by dwvw View Post
            That is just taped off for the fiberglass. The baffle will be either 1 or 2 layers of 3/4 MDF. I will use aluminium brackets with threaded inserts to bolt the sub box right to the cars structure. I am hoping my supplies show up this week so I can lay the 'glass on Sunday and have the boxes done for next monday.

The factory panel with the modified grille will still attach using the factory clips.
            I realized that :) I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the baffle and the finished product!

Comment

Very interested on how that will turn out.

Too bad I have 4 doors :(

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                I realized that :) I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the baffle and the finished product!
                I will definitely post them up when I am done. It's pretty busy at work so I hope it's done before winter, I am already doing a couple remote starts a day here.

I was thinking of making a mold so I could reproduce them, but that would add about a week to the fabrication time, and with the factory panels needing to be cut anyways I am not sure it would be a good idea.

I am sure any reputable stereo shop would be able to build these, especially with the build pics.

Comment

This is becoming more of an option after looking at how much room there is! Perhaps fountek fw146s' in the kicks and then two sealed Type R 8"s in the rear cards :)

Comment

I bet even 10s would fit, one on each side...all about moving air/cleanly! :)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

There was an E30 in the magazines back in the early 90's that had this. The guy was on R3V for a minute, but have not seen in quite a while.

His car had a pair of Oz 8" woofers sealed. Seems to me he said he got about .8 cubic feet per side, something like that. Seems about right to me, but that is just a SWAG.

Personally, I have never heard a subwoofer in my life that was under 2.5 cubic feet that I considered "enough", so I gave up on this years ago...but if I have maybe 1.2 cubic feet in the trunk and couple them, it might work. Plus, fiberglass is such a shitty SQ material and the smell never goes away completely, so for me, no thanks.

However, that is some gorgeous work in those photos! Have you thought about maybe sawing a car up to get the side panels horizontal? It is a shame you are so damn far away, I have 2 good midsections sitting here we could cut off the body in an hour!

Imagine how much easier that bitch would be if it were laying on sawhorses!

Either way, that is badass, get it done!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Still waiting on Fiberglassing supplies to show up. SO I have been working on the amp rack.

I have about 5-6 magazines from back in the day with E30's in them. One I really liked was from Vancouver and had Audison amps and AVI subs and speakers. He had a 10 ported in each side panel. Another good one was a Phoenix Gold car. The guy had a Cyclone behind the seat firing through the ski pass, and a 10 on each side of the seat strictly for SPL during competition.

I have a grape mask for the fiberglass, it helps. Another thing that helps is putting a big bucket of water in the car, the water actually does absorb some of the smell.

As for the SQ, well there's not much you can do do other than build it solid without air pockets, and thick enough to keep resonances down. I plan to treat the interior with something from Cascade.

I am coming from a 03 GTI with 3 twelves and 800 watts each in a 4 cubic foot sealed box, so it was pretty loud and got low. This car will be much more subdued.

Comment

Working...
                        X