Avital Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avital Champion

Hey guys, I have owned my e30 for about 2 months now. While working around under the hood, I noticed an after market siren (sighhhhh). I also noticed my ciggarette lighter light thing was an after market bulb. Also found a switch. Pulled the piece of material from under the steering column to look for a shock sensor/security device. Found this

The wires were cut from the siren already, so I haven't cut anything. On the actual Avital Champion device, there was a white wire that was not connected to anything, opposite of the other group of wires. I did some research, and obviously this is an old security device. I did not get any FOBs or anything with the buy of the car.

So basically I don't know what to do from here. I don't want to rip anything out in case it is wired in with a killswitch or anything. Is this system ancient? and should I remove it? OR keep the system, buy some FOBs and program? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cliffs:
    -Found siren
    -Found other items of aftermarket security device
    -Rip out or keep?
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

What did you find when you Googled Avital Technologies Inc.?

Looks to me like you should decide if you want an alarm and if this model provides the functionality you desire.

Comment

I used to have one of those waaaaay back in the day. It was pretty decent back then, don't know if it would be worth it today...

Nürburgring info

Comment

Avital is a decent brand, but without the fobs who knows what condition it's in and how long it will last? You could see if you can get old used fobs cheap on ebay, but a new alarm is so cheap I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

If there is a killswitch you should be able to see that the ignition line is cut and a relay in-between, similar to this issue. It doesn't look like that model has a built-in killswitch relay, but I would recommend finding a copy of the manual if possible. I bet you can get a PDF from the manufacturer.

Other than the killswitch a proper aftermarket alarm installation shouldn't break any of the existing circuits -- meaning it's safe to cut and remove. However, if you want to install a new one I would do that at the same time to prevent confusion.

I love having an alarm on my E30 but I hate mystery wires, so I wish you the best with this project!
        balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

Comment

okay took all the wires and devices out. Now there is a black thick wire, that was cut in half to go through the device. So both ends of it are not attached, and I try turning it over. nothing. So I am guessing I need to wire the two ends of the black wires together? Is it the power to the ignition?
          (Daily Driver)
          Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Trace that black wire to see where it goes. One end or the other must go somewhere recognizable (ECU, Ignition).

Or just try shorting it and see if the car starts.

I too love having an alarm (mainly because I live in a world full of thieves and it allows me a modicum of defense).

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
              I too love having an alarm (mainly because I live in a world full of thieves and it allows me a modicum of defense).
              I bought my alarm for keyless entry and the blinky light...

Nürburgring info

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                okay took all the wires and devices out. Now there is a black thick wire, that was cut in half to go through the device. So both ends of it are not attached, and I try turning it over. nothing. So I am guessing I need to wire the two ends of the black wires together? Is it the power to the ignition?
                Black wire is starter, splice it back together.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Black wire is starter, splice it back together.
                  that is what I was looking for thanks man :D
                  (Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

you should see the pile O' wires and devices. Obviously it wasn't installed by a professional installer. But I am glad all these excess wires are out of my car. I am left with 2 wires, that extend to and almost through the drivers side floor board. Any idea what they could lead too? I know they aren't bmw wires.
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

chase them to the ends?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I tried, Like I said they go far under the dash and look like they might go through the heat shield.

Also there was a group of three wires, that were left alone. They look oem, Red orange and black IIRC, very thin wires. Any clue?
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Pics? Details? I can think of several groups like that.

And as far as chasing thee wires, just get it done. Chase the damn things until you find them, period. If you have a wire connected to some random bullshit and the wires chafes and gets grounded, who know what could happen?

Chase the damn wire.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

If the wire was put there by someone else, it can be taken out by you.

Comment

My guess on the two wires would be to that alarm horn you found in the engine bay. What color wires connect to it?

Comment

Working...
                              X