Tons of static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tons of static

So I just installed my amp yesterday which is this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-py1OMlf...-MRV-T420.html

Something isn't right though. I'm getting a ton of static, even when the car is off and music isn't playing. I thought that the problem came from the settings on the amp, but no matter how much I tweak them I can't get anything to work. I also tried testing the amp on different speakers. Even when I disconnected the RCAs the speakers still produce static. I read that static can be caused from a bad ground connection. My ground is going to the same piece of metal that the negative on my battery is hooked onto.
    So bad ground or bad amp?

Additional information:
    On the amp there are two switches, one is a LP filter and the other a HP filter. If I have the HP filter on and the LP filter off the static persists but the music is very quiet. If I have the HP filter off and the LP filter on the static persists but the music sounds right. If I have both of them on the static goes away but so does the music. Also, for the speakers to sound good at all, I have to turn everything all the way up. Gain, bass eq, and both crossovers. Isn't that stuff supposed to be pretty low when you're running an amp to speakers?

Just to be clear, I don't have the amp grounded to the battery. I have it grounded to the piece of metal on the chassis that the negative from the battery goes to

Comment

Originally posted by couch.lock View Post
      Just to be clear, I don't have the amp grounded to the battery. I have it grounded to the piece of metal on the chassis that the negative from the battery goes to
      Ground it to your batterie's negative terminal, see what happens?
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Working...
      X