HU and Amp Install pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HU and Amp Install pics.

Thanks to all the detailed threads regarding e30 stereo installations I found here(specially from stereoinstaller1), I decided to upgrade my stereo myself. My car, '92 cabrio, came with old alpine HU from PO. CD was not working so I was living with radio only and not really a good signal. I've noticed nothing was coming out of tweeter pods.

First I shoped for HU and found Pioneer Deh-5000UB from CL for $60. Illumination color is blue, so not exactly what I was looking for but I'm just trying to have a decent sound with little money as possible.

Pioneer Deh-5000UB

After I purchased the HU, I've noticed it has rear aux and rear USB. At first, I thought this is bad but I'm kind of liking it now since it looks much cleaner than having usb and aux line sticking out. I'm going to make an custom aux input inside the front ashtray, so that I could keep the lines in the tray and close the top whenever I'm not using it.

Custom Aux Input Plan

As I was connecting the wires to the HU, I've noticed two things.
    First, red gry wire which is for illumination(?) was split(twisted) to two before it comes in to the HU. But it was just left cut so I'm not sure where it belongs. My multi func clock does not illuminate, maybe that's why?

Second, HU harness only had blu/wht not the solid blue. So I wasn' sure if I needed to connect both white wires(antenna & remote) to the blu/wht or just connect the remote only and leave the power antenna.

Next I shopped around for an amp. I was into carstereo during high school years which was 90's and since then I know nothing about it. So I wasn't sure which amp to get. I ended up getting an old school amp, PPI PC450, which was considered to be the best amp brand in my days.

Being first timer to all this, I had trouble even bringing in the power line from the front battery to the cabin. I bought 4aug and it just did not want to go in through the existing gromet. So I drilled a hole across end the cable and inserted a wire clothe hanger. Wire hanger was easy enough to get through the gromet and I pulled really hard to get the power cable to come through.

I remember someone saying something about using the OEM speaker wires as RCA cable. So while waiting for my RCA cable to arrive, I tried this optiong to see how it works. But I'm terrible at soldering so I just cut the short cheap RCA cables lying around and used connector.

front

trunk

As I was working in the trunk I've found several cut wires that I have no clue where it belongs.

Those Red and Brown wires seems to be wraped with stock harness, but I have no clue what they are for.

HU is working great and it has so many features that I need to adapt with. Though blue letters makes it look like an alien from outer planet:-(

Notice how my OBD or OBC whatever you call that thing right to the HU does not illuminat? I could barely see it during the day with a help of daylight reflecting it and completely dark at night. Any ideas what could be wrong?

All these time I thought I had regular sounds not the premium. So I ordered two sets of the PS speakers online and I found out that Cabrios has different rear speakers. When I opened up the front grills I had that nice black looking ps speakers, but in the back, it's brown paper bag looking kind of speakers. I think the reason is becauser of the mounting depth for cabrio in the back is much narrower. I had to bend the inteior little bit to fit the PS speakers in the back.

Little more bass with the PS speakers in the back. But still nothing through the front tweeters. Green/Gry wire connected to the front driver and green/gry + yellw/gry connected to the tweeter. How can I check if it's the tweeters problem or wiring?

Everything sounded pretty good.... until I started the engine
    Speakers were going crazy, whining and thumping and what not.
    I figured one of the rca cable ends that I used had bad connection.
    I'm just going to wait till new RCA cables to arrive and see if that fixes the problems.

I'm not sure if I should make a custom usb insert in the center console or let the usb extension cable dangling under the HU.
    Last edited by clayparkley; 09-21-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Good post Clay. OBC illumination is on same circuit as cluster and HVAC panel. Light bulbs are soldered to plastic 'holder' that slides into OBC from side. Must remove entire OBC from dash to access. Frequently these bulbs burn out. Can solder new bulbs from fleabay or replace holder with bulbs from dealer/junkyard. I soldered new bulbs. Happy now.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
        Good post Clay. OBC illumination is on same circuit as cluster and HVAC panel. Light bulbs are soldered to plastic 'holder' that slides into OBC from side. Must remove entire OBC from dash to access. Frequently these bulbs burn out. Can solder new bulbs from fleabay or replace holder with bulbs from dealer/junkyard. I soldered new bulbs. Happy now.
        Thanks for the info.
        Can you tell me how to remove the OBC?
        Is there a screw? I tried pushing it out but didn't work.
        And fleabay is where to buy the bulb? what kind? Is it a fleabay.net?
        Again, thank you for the help.

Comment

Today, I'm almost done with the installation.
          All I need to do now is mount the amp and tuck all the wires.
          I received new RCA cables and replaced it with the one I made using the stock speaker wires and all the noises are gone now. I think the problem was how i went about making those speaker cables to RCA. Now I know, should get the rca chasis and solder it, don't just clip it like I did.
          Everything sounds really great, I just need to find out why the tweeters are not working.
          Cabrion owners with PS, I recommend that you change the rear speakers to ones like in the front. It sound much much better. Now I need to find a way to eliminate the rattle sound coming from the rear speaker grill.

The 3.5mm aux input chasis arrived today and I'll be making custom input in the front ashtray today.

I'll post more pics later tonight.

Comment

Two bulbs in OBC light bar here

From seller: pinongpinang on fleabay

$11.95 with shipping. Can buy new light bar from BavAuto.

There are four small phillips-head screws holding the OBC to the HVAC panel. They are more or less at the four corners. Got to remove all the glove box and trim on the right side and radio from the left plus have a short screwdriver to fit in there. Those brass inserts in the picture are what the screws screw into. Screws not pictured.

On the plus side, you've only got to do it once.

Might as well replace the dash lamps in the heater control panel while you are there too.
            Last edited by dogsbark26; 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM. Reason: append thought

Comment

Alright, thanks. I'm going to order one pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
              X