Sub Firing into Rear Seat

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Threehz
    replied
    Yeah I actually have the box nearly built, just have to attach the sides, but school is kicking my ass for finals week.

    I'll let you know how it works out, maybe take some videos or sound samples, and worst case is it doesn't sound right and I try something else, I love fucking around with box building and anything 12volt.

    Thank you all for your advice though, definitely given me some new ideas as well!

    Jalves, pm sent!

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    No, seriously, do try something new. Old Dog here always looking for new tricks!

    Leave a comment:


  • Jalves619
    replied
    I have a black armrest rear seat in Tucson that needs a new home. I'm in Flagstaff at the moment, but I should be coming down after finals week. I also have an extra cloth seat in Flagstaff if you want to try modifying one. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in either.

    Leave a comment:


  • dkbmxer002
    replied
    i have a cv4 4 ohm 10 with a kicker dx500 amp in a sealed and stuffed box and it sounds PLENTY loud imo. mine is in a cheap piece of shit box facing the tail lights.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by devon.818
    dont reinvent the wheel, listen to luke
    Seriously, the man has been around the E30 block a time or two.

    Leave a comment:


  • devon.818
    replied
    dont reinvent the wheel, listen to luke

    Leave a comment:


  • Threehz
    replied
    Moneyy...

    I already had everything to do my current setup, and audio is at the very bottom of my priority list right now sad as it makes me. Once the holidays are over then I may very well pick up an extra rear seat as they seem to be pretty damn available.

    Just wondering how I should best use what I've got :)

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Dude, why not get a spare iS rear seat and hack it up? Make a tunnel of MDF, wrap it in vinyl...do something cool and unique, dream it up yourself. You can always port the seat with a pair of 4" ports, that makes a HUGE difference.

    Leave a comment:


  • AndrewBird
    replied
    I bet seat material has a lot to do with it. Leather/vinyl would block a lot more sound then cloth would I bet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by nrubenstein
    A 10" woofer in a Luke box will cause the seat tomake a shit ton of noise at about 30% volume. I certainly wouldn't waste the effort on a 15 unless you are going to suck it up and get a ski pass seat. Or a cloth seat.
    I haven't experienced this. I've noticed if my seat belt buckles are in their little slots in the seat they will make noise, but the seat itself does not. I have no armrest and no foam cut out, and I play LOUD fairly often.

    Leave a comment:


  • Threehz
    replied
    A few people on DIYMA have said that it should work fine, I guess it's really just all guessing game until it's done.

    After finals next week I'll actually have time to finish it up and test things out.

    I figure if it doesn't sound right I'll port the box that's being fired into, up into and out the rear deck. That'll be quite a mess of tuning but may just work out. Worst case is I buy 2 new pieces of MDF and seal the inner 4th of the trunk off kind of like the original plan hmm.

    Thanks for all the input guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • poopin04
    replied
    I just bought two 3inch speaker cones from ebay and ported my back seats. I have the vinyl back seat so I didn't mind cutting it, as they're dime a dozen. Since I did this I can honestly say I feel and hear the bass better. If my box was ported I'd imagine it feeling better though.

    Leave a comment:


  • nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Threehz
    Yes, in fact past a certain volume the woofer will not see any gains because it will be pushing as much air as it can, and will be negatively affecting SQ and possibly hurting the woofer itself...

    My "box" is approximately 1.76cuft with a 15" woofer firing into it, now I'm sure there is a way to calculate how much air my woofer will move at "max" volume by using the speaker specs such as Vas.
    A 10" woofer in a Luke box will cause the seat tomake a shit ton of noise at about 30% volume. I certainly wouldn't waste the effort on a 15 unless you are going to suck it up and get a ski pass seat. Or a cloth seat.

    Leave a comment:


  • Threehz
    replied
    Yes, in fact past a certain volume the woofer will not see any gains because it will be pushing as much air as it can, and will be negatively affecting SQ and possibly hurting the woofer itself...

    My "box" is approximately 1.76cuft with a 15" woofer firing into it, now I'm sure there is a way to calculate how much air my woofer will move at "max" volume by using the speaker specs such as Vas.

    Leave a comment:


  • nrubenstein
    replied
    Past a certain volume level, the seat will start making a ton of noise.

    Leave a comment:

Working...