Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right before my convertible died I had installed the planet audio 1800.5 and replaced the rears with the pioneer TSG1344R speakers. I will be sending payment for a vert box in a few days. Are these a good choice for your revised box?

How do you think this total combination will sound? As I said before, I'm not against replacing the facotry fronts with components if need be, later.

Comment

The Fosgate is a little larger diameter cutout. Our standard is 7 1/8", that is like 7 3/16".

Let us know, we can adjust...but you cannot use TypeRs in that box.

I think the Fosgate is gonna do great though, on paper, it looks really nice.

Make sure you order DVC 2 ohm per coil for that amp, not the 4 ohm/coil DVC you showed.

Production is happening now, so get on it!

Thanks
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Jeez, you just saved me a bunch of headache with RMA's and shipping and all that jazz. This will be my first experience with a dual voice coil speaker. I see I have to wire the 2 vc's in series on each speaker to create 2 4ohm speakers, then wire them in the box in parallel to get the 2ohm load I want. I assumed the ohm rating of a DVC speaker was final. Good catch, sir!

Comment

You are very welcome! Nice to see it made sense to you, that is awesome!

We have a place for you to make notes in the payment instructions, make sure we know it is for 7 3/16" cutouts. We are in the middle of building vert boxes for both power top and manual right now. I think we have 2 unspoken for out of this batch.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I lost a soldier tonight. My LF premium speaker died tonight. I kept kicking it while driving and bringing it back to life, so naturally I thought it was a loose wire. After much testing I figured out the voice coil conductor broke at the bend point right before it was soldered to the braid. I was able to run it on my bench and listen to music for a few minutes at a time, then lose audio. Finally I decided it was time to do an autopsy :)

I scraped the insualtion away at the points that I hope will be obvious, to confirm where it broke. I had some fun tonight playing music thru it while tapping the cone in various places over and over to force it back to life.

Wide open circuit between the 2 braids goign to the voice coil. I was able to play music thru it if I continuosly tapped on the cone

I wanted to see what was up...

Perfect reading here after scraping the insulation away... She lost connection between the right side coil to braid solder joint.

Comment

oh jeez I thought the forum would resize these photos, sorry

fixed
              Last edited by nostar; 05-17-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

My 318is doesn't have the premium sound setup, any recommendations on rear speakers?

So far I've ammased:
                10" lukebox
                1062w Infinity sub
                1800.5 amp you recommend recently
                Pioneer components you listed last page as well. Have premium tweeter pod things.

The rear speakers look like they're what 4"? I think I have a rear shelf from a premium car if that would give better options?

Comment

5.25" on all E30 for rears.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                    Well, depending on budget, I say "C" is your best bet.

Most all Pioneer co-ax are just miserable squawky things, so I think you would be happier using pretty much any component speaker.

There is a great sale on Bravox components at Part-express.com. I have not heard them, but they look great. Otherwise, the upper-end Pioneer is really nice too.
                    I got the bravox cs50k components installed yesterday, and they sound amazing. Worlds better than the pioneers I had up front. Thank you for the suggestion!

To anyone else looking for components, theses bravox units are a killer deal!

Pictures of install process coming soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                      I got the bravox cs50k components installed yesterday, and they sound amazing. Worlds better than the pioneers I had up front. Thank you for the suggestion!

To anyone else looking for components, theses bravox units are a killer deal!

Pictures of install process coming soon...
                      Sweet! You saw your box an Tshirt are on their way, right? Good to hear about the Bravox being good sound...can't wait to hear your reaction on the bass!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        Sweet! You saw your box an Tshirt are on their way, right? Good to hear about the Bravox being good sound...can't wait to hear your reaction on the bass!

Luke
                        I got the shirt, and have already been wearing it around.

However, UPS tracking for the box still shows this:

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
                        Tuesday, 05/28/2013, By End of Day
                        Last Location:
                        Arrived - Hodgkins, IL, United States, Thursday, 05/23/2013

I am hoping I get it today, and the tracking info is behind, but I am not holding my breath.

The trunk tar just pulled right out for me, on a hot day after a long-ish drive. Everything was nice and soft. I can't wait to get this thing installed!
                        Last edited by Andy.B; 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                          I got the shirt, and have already been wearing it around.

However, UPS tracking for the box still shows this:

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
                          Tuesday, 05/28/2013, By End of Day
                          Last Location:
                          Arrived - Hodgkins, IL, United States, Thursday, 05/23/2013

I am hoping I get it today, and the tracking info is behind, but I am not holding my breath.

The trunk tar just pulled right out for me, on a hot day after a long-ish drive. Everything was nice and soft. I can't wait to get this thing installed!
                          Only trunk tar that ever came out easy for me was soaked with water for years...you got so lucky!

Hoping to hear it is there today...sometimes I think I could do without holidays

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Just got off the phone with UPS. Apparently they lost my package in their own shipping center, but I can't start a claim, only the sender can. I sent you a PM about it.

Stupid UPS, keeping me from getting some awesome bass in my trunk.

Comment

Luke,

I sent a few emails and payment for a vert box, but I haven't heard anything. Everything good?

Comment

Originally posted by nostar View Post
                                Luke,

I sent a few emails and payment for a vert box, but I haven't heard anything. Everything good?
                                Ah, sweet...yessir, we have a complete hard drive failure and cannot get to my business email at all right now....so I did not know.

So, first, thank you adn second, I will have email back tomorrow and get confirmation to you.

Thanks!
                                Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X