Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikerob97
    replied
    So in general, sounds like folks like the stock premium sound speakers over other $75/pair price point speakers?

Leave a comment:

• rcsoundn1
    replied
    ^ thats usually true from my experience. I have all aftermarket speakers and am not a fan of them. If i get a chance I am going to source good shape stock ones. The low end response was far better than most speakers in the aftermarket realm, until you drop $$ or do a crazy install.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by chad h View Post
    Luke,
    I actually replaced the front kick panel speakers that were OEM.
    Take out whatever you put in and put the OE back in properly, its the easiest and best sounding solution.

Leave a comment:

• rcsoundn1
    replied
    You are going to need crossovers or some resistors to keep low frequencies from blowing out the tweeters then.

Leave a comment:

• chad h
    replied
    Luke,
    I actually replaced the front kick panel speakers that were OEM.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Chad, the tweeters should be working if the PS mids are in place....assuming no one has messed with them

Leave a comment:

• chad h
    replied
    Also, is there a way to hook up the factory tweeters somehow? Or is it even worth it?

Leave a comment:

• chad h
    replied
    So with warm weather approaching, yesterday I decided my speakers needed more power. It was time to amplify them..

Backstory..
    I got my car in september, its a 91 convertible with premium sound. When I got it the stock radio made all kind of noise and so i ripped it out, ran a new head unit with new speakerwire and replaced the two front speakers with some cheap ones from walmart.

A few months later, my car wasn't turning right. When I redid my stereo, i forgot to hang my wires out of the way which isn't a good thing.
    They wrapped around the steering column...

Ripped them out. Rewired...During the process, I decided to grab a new head unit so i had bluetooth.
    Then i got XM a few months later.

So thats where I was coming into this project. I bought the amp, and wiring kit and connectors yesterday. PMed Luke a few questions, as I wasn't familiar with the exact wiring. Luke gave me his number and we had a short phone call going over the basics of what goes where etc. After a few hours of work last night, and a few more this morning, I finished it all up. Got my new amp installed and the speakers sound better, but i still need to tune my amplifier, as well as work on getting a cleaner ground, because i'm getting a little bit of engine noise through the system.

Still need to figure out where i want to screw the amp down. Any ideas? Power top convertible if that helps?

Anyways, thanks again for the help Luke. Maybe one of these days i'll add the lukebox to get the full effect.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by HarukoE30 View Post
    I have given up trying to figure this install out. I can swap engines and build computers, but damn it to hell I can't figure out a stereo install. Hate wiring period!

Anyways, great guide & I'll print it out for the local shop to use when wiring my speakers to the HU & Amp.

edit:

Wait a minute :hitler:

So what Luke was instructing when extending the speaker wire that you pull from the Trunk (AMP) was...

1) 3 feet each strand of wire for the 8 x speaker wires?

1a) Now if you wanted as an option; which you stated, one could use red & black wire to mark which *wire*(s) were for power & power ground?

2) The reason for this 3 feet of wires is so that you can properly place the Amp when connecting it to the trunk battery, correct?

3) Now the RCA cables he mentions in the guide, those are the RCA cables that run from the Amp to the Head-Unit correct?

If I am correct or mistaken on any of those, please correct me so I don't get this wrong. I'm trying to grasp this, as it shouldn't be hard, I'm just very directional specific it seems.
    1. Yes, just get normal speaker wire, or buy an "amp kit" that comes with speaker wire.

1a. You have not said what year or model your car is, gotta know before I can help much.

2. the goal here is placing the amp in the trunk. You need to connect all speakers to the amp, thus the need to extend the wires

3. yes, the only RCAs mentioned here are the ones from deck to amp.

Just so we are clear, signal goes from the deck to the amp to the speakers, its just a chain. Hope that helps, don't let this stuff confuse you too bad, it's pretty clear you are overthinking this. I do provide customer support via phone if that will help, PM me and I will give you my cell number....just have a pencil and paper handy, I will overwhelm you with info, you will need to make notes.

Originally posted by azndeugene View Post
    Does this amp require a HO Alternator? From surfing the web it looks like getting that amp will require a 1/0 amp kit, a big 3 kit and maybe a HO alternator which is more expensive than finding a mono amp for the sub and an Alpine Power Pack for speakers.

Any input would be great as Im considering getting that amp mentioned above.

Also, just bought myself a 10" box! CANT WAIT :D
    First, thanks for the order, we will get it out as soon as we can!

Second, your stock alternator and battery, even if it's an m10 car, is adequate for that amp. While it can draw a lot of power, your stock alternator is entirely adequate.

Just so you know, one of my primary goals is super-high efficiency, thus no need to upgrade anything...ain't nobody got time for that!

Also, there is absolutely no reason to use 1/0, 4GA is more than enough (no matter what your buddies say LOL). Remember, load is based on wire length, according to the IASCA standard, 8ga power wire is adequate in this car for that amp....but use 4GA.

BTW, the best value I have seen yet in RCAs and amp kits is Belva, from sonicelectronix. I use the BBIC5 and the BAK42 or BAK44 kits.

Originally posted by jswest69 View Post
    Love what you do Luke. It is a art. I will get some stuff from you eventually. BTW, I think Matty is headed back for a visit soon.
    thanks, man, appreciate it...looks like imma have to make a trip up soon!

LF

Leave a comment:

• azndeugene
    replied
    Originally posted by htown318is View Post
    Infinity Reference 1262w 12-Inch 1200-Watt

+

Planet Audio AC1800.5

sub is DVC wired in parallel to get a 2 ohm load on 5th channel.
    Does this amp require a HO Alternator? From surfing the web it looks like getting that amp will require a 1/0 amp kit, a big 3 kit and maybe a HO alternator which is more expensive than finding a mono amp for the sub and an Alpine Power Pack for speakers.

Any input would be great as Im considering getting that amp mentioned above.

Also, just bought myself a 10" box! CANT WAIT :D
    Last edited by azndeugene; 03-13-2015, 12:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HarukoE30
    replied
    I have given up trying to figure this install out. I can swap engines and build computers, but damn it to hell I can't figure out a stereo install. Hate wiring period!

Anyways, great guide & I'll print it out for the local shop to use when wiring my speakers to the HU & Amp.

edit:

Wait a minute :hitler:

So what Luke was instructing when extending the speaker wire that you pull from the Trunk (AMP) was...

1) 3 feet each strand of wire for the 8 x speaker wires?

1a) Now if you wanted as an option; which you stated, one could use red & black wire to mark which *wire*(s) were for power & power ground?

2) The reason for this 3 feet of wires is so that you can properly place the Amp when connecting it to the trunk battery, correct?

3) Now the RCA cables he mentions in the guide, those are the RCA cables that run from the Amp to the Head-Unit correct?

If I am correct or mistaken on any of those, please correct me so I don't get this wrong. I'm trying to grasp this, as it shouldn't be hard, I'm just very directional specific it seems.
    Last edited by HarukoE30; 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM. Reason: change of thoughts

Leave a comment:

• Imprezme
    replied
    Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
    The HU will come with a sleeve that gets mounted in the dash that the radio clips into. Nothing else is needed.
    Thanks for that!

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    The HU will come with a sleeve that gets mounted in the dash that the radio clips into. Nothing else is needed.

Leave a comment:

• Imprezme
    replied
    Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
    No, you do not need a harness for any radio going into an e30. You will need a decent set of crimpers and some butt connectors though.
    a bracket to hold the unit into place? or does that usually come with the headunit? not really quite sure as there is just an empty hole in my car lol. Sorry for the noob questions

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Originally posted by Imprezme View Post
    Hey so i am thinking about picking up a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT really soon as my e30 came without a head unit. Probably slowly piece together what you got going on here. Would i need a wire harness for this unit?
    No, you do not need a harness for any radio going into an e30. You will need a decent set of crimpers and some butt connectors though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X