rear premium speaker replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear premium speaker replacement

i have a 91 325i with the premium audio package, with an aftermarket pioneer headunit, some 5.25" clarion 3-ways in the front, and currently have the stock rear deck ones unplugged as one sounds blown. was looking for a speaker replacement to fit in the rear deck, would 5"x7" speakers fit under the stock premium grills? or do i have to go for some 5.25" speakers to fit? i want it looking stock from the outside. i like my clarions in the front, but would like something with more bass in the back, so that's why i want to go for some 5x7s. if those wont fit under the stock premium rear grills, what are some reasonable options to fit in the rear for more bass? eventually i want to hook up a sub in a box in the trunk, but if i can get decent bass with some 5x7s in the back, i just might wire those up to a 4-channel amp with the fronts as well. alas i am but a poor college student, so i'm looking for the cheapest. not too concerned about huge bass, but would like some bass, as my 5.25" clarions dont really have much bass to them. just enough to even them out.
    sigpic
    '91 325i 2-door, sterling silver over black, 14" basketweaves, stock for now.
    '92 Miata, red, boss frog double hoop roll bar, full power flex poly bushings, tokico 5-way adjustable coils, front strut brace, '96 1.8l swap, '96 brakes, turn signal intake, cheapo 15" 5-spokes. vlsd, no ps, no abs, no pw, no pl, no BS car. only has ac as a factory option. somewhere around 300k on chassis and trans and 180k on engine.

NO. Not under the stock grills. Notice how it a separate tweeter woofer combo? Just slap another 5.25 in there and un plug the OE tweeter and call it good.
    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

ok, i have some clarion SRQ1331R's right now in the front, should i get another pair for the back, or find some better ones for the front and move these to the back? i know with as small as these are, i wont be getting good bass from them. if its not too involved, i just might go for 5x7s with a plain speaker grill over them, i just dont want anything that looks too aftermarket to the layman. edit: was also looking at polk audio db525's as a replacement 5.25" speaker, if its too much hassle to fit 5x7s. (hassle as in irreversible modification, i'm not afraid to work on my car, got it in september of this year and have done the timing belt, driveshaft guibo, and a bunch of odds and ends)
      Last edited by orignal teile; 12-26-2011, 01:50 AM.
      sigpic
      '92 Miata, red, boss frog double hoop roll bar, full power flex poly bushings, tokico 5-way adjustable coils, front strut brace, '96 1.8l swap, '96 brakes, turn signal intake, cheapo 15" 5-spokes. vlsd, no ps, no abs, no pw, no pl, no BS car. only has ac as a factory option. somewhere around 300k on chassis and trans and 180k on engine.

Comment

In all honesty its your car and your call. Its no to much hassle to mount 5x7s. I rember when I put some new 5.25s in my rear i had to monkey with the OE speaker plate. What you may do is found a low power component set rather than a two way speaker.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

i ended up ordering some clarion 6.5" speakers, ill see how they sound in the back deck, or i might just mount them in the front if i can get them to fit under the stock panel, and move the 5.25" ones to the back. as i wont be back to my car for a couple of weeks, it'll be a while before i can get them in.
          sigpic

Comment

why dont you just get a sub?

Comment

i have a sub, just not hooked up to my car, i dont need that much bass, just more than it has with the 5.25" speakers i have hooked up. plus replacing the speakers is much easier than hooking a sub up, and i dont lose any trunk space.
              sigpic

Comment

UPDATE: found there was no clean way to mount the 6.5" speakers in the back premium deck but the clarion SRG1621R 6.5" ones i ordered fit fine in the front panel. they have screw holes that lined up perfectly with the ones for the oem 5.25" and fit perfect under the panels, they're $27 on amazon right now. sound nice and clear with much better bass to add. (for the price at least). the clarion 5.25" ones that i put in the front kick panels i moved to the back, i found some rubber stripping i'm going to use to get them to be able to fit under the stock bmw premium grills as it was the look i was going for. also do stock premium speakers have any value used? i have four and tested them and theyre all good. a tweeter was bad in the back.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X