Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gone through 3 alternators in the past 1.5 years (long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gone through 3 alternators in the past 1.5 years (long post)

--if you dont want to read the junk/info about my situation, the simple questoin i posted to ask is: i need a good alternator that wont die in an e30 with a sound system that apparently isnt good enough for regular rebuilt alternators, ive gone through 2 with this stereo setup. so i need something that can output more amps, but am having trouble finding one or a place that sells them.--

and i recently found out that my alternator failures are due to my amp/sub setup. i dont have proof, but thats what everyone tells me. that my alternator's amperage is too low to support the load im putting on my battery. my car is stock with half ass custom stereo (to finish it is on my list of things to buy...):

xtant 403a amp
    image dynamics idq 12inch sub.

in short, i have it hooked up to the xtant amp and taking as much power as it can give to one thing (200w according to manual). on top of that, i have an alpine headunit with my sub level cranked up to max (15). the headunit powers my stock premium speakers (with the headunits highs turned down to "X" and the mids turned down to 1/2 "X", with lows left at 0. all this is to be able to turn up the volume without ear piercing highs and mids. i turn the volume up to 25 or 28, its limit is 35) the sub is underpowered by the amp (its rms is listed as 350) and the adjusted level on the headunit brings it to a decent level, in my opinion that is. i realize this is really not an efficient setup, i only found out that the amp was going to underpower the sub after i bought it... am a newbie to car audio and at that time i didnt even know shit. oh well, live and learn. ultimately, ill be getting a mono class D amp for the sub (something around 400w rms rated) and leave the xtant (which is a 3 channel (2 stereo, 1 mono) to power whatever speakers i decide to get. so ultimately it will be 2 amps, 4 aftermarket speakers, and 1 12'' sub., obviously a very ordinary setup and i dont expect the wattage to be over 600-800w if you go by whats labeled on the amps.

with all that out of the way...

i need recomendations on a high output alternator, ive been looking online but honestly cant find much for the e30. ive had my alternator die 2 times on me since ive had my sub and amp. just figured this would be a good place to ask what options i have, since many people here seem to be running heavy car audio setups.

also, ive noticed that my headlights dimm at night (duh.. thats when you can notice them! haha) with the bass hits from my sub. this is at high volume only. people have recomended a half farad capacitor... but others have said it will only increase the load on your alternator once it dumps out its extra stored energy to prevent the dimming lights during bass hits and needs to rejuice. also it apparently does this while turning the car on, so that will be a bigger load on the alt... right?

im really dazed here... my car died on my while driving, and a failed alternator is really annoying, because it happens while you are driving... at least a dead battery while parked is a safe way for the car to not work. having the car stall in traffic is really no fun. luckily last night, i was 1 block from my house. but previous times ive been stuck in some really bad locations (high traffic).

extremely sorry for the long post. but i believe it getting as much information as possible on the first post to prevent single line replies asking me questions about my setup. i like to provide all i can and think is needed for someone to give me a worthy response. however, if you need more info on anything... ill hapily provide it.

EDIT: some people have asked what type of music i play with my setup, i guess it matters in some cases for potential remedies. i listen to black and death metal . for those not familiar, this isnt metallica or korn or system of a down style music (this music isnt played on radios or tvs, at least not in the U.S.) its very bass filled with double bass drums that are very constant throughout songs and alot of instruments (bass guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, vocals... etc) are going on at once usually at a fast pace, so its very demanding on speakers and a sub (especially sub). so i suppose a capacitor wouldnt really help, as my bass is always wanting to hit hard, many many many times a minute... im guessing a capacitor would only crap out an alternator faster, as it would constantly be rejuicing on top of whatever regular recharging the alt has to do. the capacitor probably wouldnt keep up with the bass hits of the drum most of the time.
    Last edited by axed; 09-30-2005, 12:45 AM.
    - 325ix - 5spd - diamond black - 1988 -

Doesn't the Bosch high output alternator fit the E30?
    Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
    FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
    FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
    FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
    FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
    Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

im not sure if it does. it would be great if it does. its brand new parts and high output, better then gettin oem spec rebuilds.

if i select my year and model on the bosh site, it doesnt give me the option of getting the high output alternator (or even the regular but 100% new alternators they have). unless it fits for sure, its not an option for me. this is my only car and im a full time student 4 days out of the week, so i cant really afford to try alternate/modified solutions. thanks for your reply though

Comment

Yea, the Bosch site is so-so. I know that Bosch remanufactured alternators fit the E30, and it doesn't show them as fitting either. I looked up a Corvette, which supposedly takes the high-power alternator, and it didn't show the alternator there either. Perhaps you will have to drop them a line.
        Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
        FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
        FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
        FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
        FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
        Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

hm... yea i just might. however, im going to go with the standard bosch remanufactured model. i need the car functioning asap. ill look into the brend new bosch alts for future breakdowns, im sure this alt problem will happen to me again.

thanks for your help, and surviving this mega post of mine.

Comment

Theres no way a 200watt amp is drawing too much from your alt.
            I have a 450watt mids&highs amp and a 300watt sub amp (although its super inefficient(sp?)and it sucks alot of juice) and I haven't killed any alternators.

If you really plan on adding alot more and need a high output alternator, check sound forums for custom built alts. My 220amp alt (not yet installed, my stock one is running strong) cost about $300, and it's fricken beastly

Comment

Rather then blamming your sound system for you problem, why don't you first see if there is another problem. A short or a bad alernator power lead will put wear on an alternator and kill it quicker. Check out the wiring on everything first and make sure eveything is good. Then move onto other things.

Comment

Working...
              X