iStreamer DAC... Luke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn Smooth! Very well put.

As Smooth said, there are analog line level outputs from the iPhone's dock cable and that is what I was using.

What started this is the poor quality if the iSimple iPod / iPhone to RCA adapter. The wire they use just isn't up to being fondled that much. (no doc in my car just the plug in cable) So the other day I noticed the cable developed a short in the left side. Quick search for a new one shows they are around 50 bucks. Plus I have to dig into the dash to hard wire it in again. This got me thinking of just using a female USB pigtail. I could then hard wire that and just get a new iPhone to USB cable every time the cable takes a shit. Then I discovered this iStreamer DAC. Admititly it's more expensive than replacing what I got, but there may be an improvement too. This also gets me to the iPhone to USB cable I was thinking about. Long way around I know.........

My phone is a 3GS and I'm told it has the worst internal DACs of them all (worse being relative)

The iStreamer is native to the iPod iPhone and controls the devices data stream to prevent or eliminate jitter.

John
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
      So this connects to the amp, which then connects to the deck? Meaning I could maintain the factory tape deck and still run my ipod?
      Ok, so say I adapt an AUX into a factory tape deck (like kronus), could I then purchase a type of aftermarket DAC for my car? I absolutely despise aftermarket HU's and refuse to use one. I would much prefer to use the same money on a DAC.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Ok, so say I adapt an AUX into a factory tape deck (like kronus), could I then purchase a type of aftermarket DAC for my car? I absolutely despise aftermarket HU's and refuse to use one. I would much prefer to use the same money on a DAC.
        LC8i + stock deck + amplifier

Gives you AUX volume control, way better SQ, tuning, and sub level control

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          LC8i + stock deck + amplifier

Gives you AUX volume control, way better SQ, tuning, and sub level control
          That's what I like to hear, and of course an uprated amp on premium sound.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Yes you could do that but the DAC is not a requirement, it just bypass the iPhone's internal DAC and uses one of it's own thats better. The LC8i I looked up used the iPhone or iPod's headphone output. That would go further away from the external DAC idea as now your using the iPhone or iPod internal DAC and Amp. Plus it won't charge the device.

My iStreamer should be here today. I won't get to install it for a while (emphasis on the h) as it's now snowing here like mad, I have to go to work tomorrow, and the garage is full of house remodel junk.

John

Comment

Ok, so I installed the istreamer dac today.

I'm very impressed! The base is much more defined and the highs are no longer making my ears bleed. Much better imaging. Way better than the dac in the iPhone. Also a plus is the fact that now when I'm cranking toons and someone calls me, the ringer doesn't come over my stereo at high levels. The source gently mutes and then the phone rings normally. With my iSimple patch cord the phone would ring over the stereo. Very annoying.

Two thumbs up for those using a line level input and an iPhone.

John

Comment

Nice, thanks for the update.

Did you hardwire a power lead or are you just using a cigarette power cable?
                Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Well, I kinda cheesed out. I wired in a new cigarette lighter and plugged in the usb power connector, then warped it with elec tape (didn't have shrink tubing big enough) and stuffed it in front of the heatter box. As the output is 5v for the iStreamer, (iStreamer is adamant you use their USB adaptor) I thought about soldering directly to the connector but decided agenst it. I was worried the connector couldn't take he heat. So I wired in the outlet, plugged in the USB power supply then hooked everything up. The iStreamer DAC sits in the cavety to the right of the e-brake. I MIGHT be able to change the USB to iPhone cable through the shifter boot but I hope to not burn that bridge for a while (emphasis on the h).

John
                  Last edited by harv; 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X