DSP or basic electronic crossover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSP or basic electronic crossover?

I'm working towards putting together an active front stage but am having trouble deciding the best way to manage them for best sound. I started out with a set of "old" Boston Acoustic RC61 components running through their passive and fed from two channels of a PPI A404. I found the sound to be somehow slightly irritating in the midrange and just couldn't really stand to turn it up as loud as I listen to the stock system in the X5 without it sounding harsh to me.

I had an extra set of RC61 passives lying around, so I figured I would try bi-amping them. I ran the tweeters through one set of crossovers off the front channels and ran the woofers off the rear channels through the other crossover. This allowed me to turn down the gain on the tweeters relative to the woofers and I liked this better. I still felt like there was room for improvement though.

I'm in the process of swapping out the door mounted woofers with slightly larger Silver Flute 6.5's. Planning on keeping the Neo 2r's in the factory sail panel pods for a bit longer. I want to try some other management for this setup besides passives but am having trouble deciding. If money were no object, I'd probably give the MS-8 a shot. On the cheap, I could get a used Audio Control 24XS for around $50 shipped, used. Or I could step up a little to a EQX, which combines a crossover and equalizer for a little under a hundred used. Or, for $110 I could try a Mini DSP board. This would open up a lot of options including time alignment and 31 band eq.

What would you guys recommend?
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
    -Franklin D. Roosevelt
Working...
X