Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do after removing your trunk tar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you do after removing your trunk tar?

I realize this is the car audio section, though since this procedure is most commonly performed for a LukeBox installation I thought it would get more visibility here, and from the "right" people.

I finished removing my trunk tar last night and had a successful test fit of the LukeBox. Hooray! Apologies for the crappy cell phone pic.

The surface the tar was adhered to previously is not painted, though it appears to have a coat of primer sealer (?). Just left of the spare tire well is a very small patch of discoloration. I'm hesitant to call it "rust" since the metal itself is not corroded at all, though my concern is that if I leave this newly exposed area unpainted, unsealed or untreated that it may have adverse effects down the road.

For those of you who have come to this point, what - if anything - have you done to that surface?
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

...we have sold over 600 boxes now...
    No one...?

I'm thinking about just painting it with (brushed on) Plasti-Dip so I can remove it later if desired/necessary.

Comment

I just left it alone. I removed it 3 years ago and its still fine
      -Andy

Comment

Plastidip is a very good choice. Completely reversible and very easy to change because of the way you can just peel it off. And if you put it on right with several coats it's very durable.
        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

plus it also works well as a sound damper :)
          i used it on a sealed subwoofer box that had some leaking air issues
          and not only did it seal it 100%
          i could feel less vibrations coming out of the box
          i know because the box was corner loaded in the trunk
          and you could earlier feel the vibrations if you put your hand on the fender just behind it.
          after the plastidip, almost no vibrations :)
          does stink for a few days though

Comment

A more permanent and durable option would be spray on bed liner. Personally I would go this route and do the entire trunk. Preventative maintenance for the battery box rusting out.

Another option is POR-15. It would work just as well if not better then the bed liner, but would be a smooth finish instead of textured. This is also permanent and would not be removed easily.

Comment

I was eyeballing the paint-on bedliner when I was at Lowes getting the liquid PlastiDip today. I am considering going this route in the future when I have time to do it right.

Comment

Working...
              X