sub wiring question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub wiring question?

Ok im planning on 2 infinity kappa perfect 12.1's in sealed boxes in my trunk. Im looking for amps at the current and i was thinking about how to wire them. If i wire them in parallel, the amp will still only see 4ohms right(subs are 4 ohm each) So if i find an amp that puts out like 600-700 RMS at 4ohms i should be ok right?

EDIT: IF, i wire two 4ohm subs togeather the amp would only see 2ohms right?
    Thanks,
    Brian

If you bridge 2 4-ohm subs, you'll have a two ohm load.

NOTE: Wiring them in parallel, and wired to the bridged channel on your amp will yield A 1 OHM LOAD. Not a good idea unless your amp can handle a 1-ohm load.

This is especially important with mono-block amps, which are USUALLY bridged internally already (MTX, Memphis, etc)

I recommend a Memphis 500D, very underrated (by the industry and by the way memphis rates their amps), but very strong and powerful.

I have a 500D MTX that runs my W7, and when i hooked the W7 to my bro's Memphis, it was like i had 2 amps.

JL amps are quality as well, but are also pricier. Memphis is on level with JL, although without some small features (the memphis does have EBC), but not many people know of the brand.

My MTX barely ever gets hot, and it is under-powering my W7, i need at least 1000Wrms, and i'm only getting 775.
    Nick

87 325 5MT
    02 IS300 5MT

Comment

yo just get a good amp. Kicker kx800.2 is what I have. class d, powerful as fuck, etc

i had it powering my two kicker solobaric 12s, which have I believe 800 or 1000 watt rms per sub

i only had it turned up 3/8's of the way, and I couldn't listen to it that loud, it would kill my hearing. I had it bumping pretty loud still, but the amp is more than I would ever need. I still have the amp, I just ran my rca's last night (the system used to be in my accord).
      Originally posted by blunt
      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

I was originally thinking the JBL 1000.1 or the 1200.1 I *think* they are 1ohm stable but ill have to check. BUT i know definately 2ohm stable. So if i wire them in parallel to a 1 channel amp(ie:the ones above) ill have 2 ohms of resistance. RIGHT?

Brian

Comment

re:

Heres a few quick graphics to show you a diagram for 2 single voice coil 4 ohm sub setup. You've got a few wiring options...(for reference, images are from rockford.com) In your case go for the the parallel configuration.

Series
          8ohm load on the amp

Parallel
          2ohm load on the amp

Or you can just wire each sub individually to its corresponding left and right channel on the amp for a 4ohm load at the amp.

In order to get close to a 1ohm load your going to have to add another single voice coil sub and them in a parallel configuration (roughly a 1.34ohm load). You could also add a fourth sub (all wired in paralell) and end up at the magic 1 ohm load.

Honestly, if you want to run 1 ohm, I would suggest using dual voice coil subs. By doing so you can have two (dvc 4ohm subs) running parallel with a 1ohm load.

As for the amps... thumbs up for the jbl 1200.1, excellent amp, and 1ohm stable. But I have been most impressed with the Memphis line... After hearing these amps run, the money I believe is well worth it.
          Good luck,
          Nate

Comment

Im on somewhat of a budget so that last statement makes them seem out of my range. Yeah i kinda figured that wiring parallel to the single channel would be MY best option. My total plan comes out somting like this

HU: Alpine CDA 9813
            Front: MBQ PSD/PCE 213's in original location ( i know, its not very good spots but i dont care that much) Powered by hifonics 75x4 or somthing similar
            NO rears
            2 Infinity Kappa Perfects12.1's in Sealed 1.0 box's With the JBL 1200.1

What do you think?

Brian

Comment

re:

Those Kappa perfects are a personal favorite! If I remember correctly those kappas should be rated at 350 watts rms. So you can safely push around 700 watts rms into the parallel load.

JBL BP1200.1
              Well according to jbl.com
              -600watts @ 4ohms
              -1200watts @ 2ohms and 1ohms
              (There is a note in the manual that says "no increase in power rating")
              I wasn't aware of that, until I read the manual.. You should be able to bring it up by following this link. (PDF file)

The only thing the manual does not mention is whether the power rating is at peak or rms. I imagine though it probably is the peak rating. I would have to do some more checking for that.. What do you think?

Comment

Why're you getting 2 12s? Do you listen to a lot of bass-heavy rap? One would be more than enough for nearly everyone, especially if it has a lot of juice running to it. My personal opinion is that one 10" with a ton of power will sound much better than two under-powered 12"s. Tens are much tighter, and can really move some air, especially when they have a lot of power.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

under powered 12's??? IF the JBL 1200.1 makes at least 600RMS @ 2ohms thatll put me at just 50W under the MAX RMS of the subs? How is that under powered. Plus they will be in SEALED boxes, making them NOT boomy or super loud by any means. MY friends truck Has 2 10" Kappa's with a JBL 1000.1 In sealed boxes and they arent close enough to too much, and they are like 6' from the back of the front seats. and he doesnt listen to rap at all. So i think that this overall will be just fine for me. as far as the weight aspect, this will all come out when i got to the track so i dont really care that much.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X