Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Radio Ground issues

Hey Guys,

So I finished wiring my new stereo and bypassing my amp a couple of weeks ago, and now i'm noticing a couple of wierd issues. The car is a 91 iX with premium sound.

1) A whine will come through the speakers when I rev the engine on occasion. Doesn't seem to happen all the time, but at certian times you can definitely hear it. My ground strap between the engine and the chassis has been checked,cleaned, and is in good working order. What else could it be?

2) I get some static through the speakers when I hit the brakes, and/or when i turn the rear defroster on. I checked the ground under the rear seat, but it was clean and tidy. Any other ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks,

Nick

"If does not apply please ignore" sometimes cheap components, will do just that, ground issues galore.

It could be a numerous amount of things though., speaker wires running together, cheap wiring, amps not secured, breaks in the wires where they could be making contact with metal.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
      "If does not apply please ignore" sometimes cheap components, will do just that, ground issues galore.

It could be a numerous amount of things though., speaker wires running together, cheap wiring, amps not secured, breaks in the wires where they could be making contact with metal.
      Any idea where to look? I checked all of the places that I messed around with, and they all seem to be solid. Any typical trouble areas? And would the brake/defroster thing be a problem with the radio, or the brake lights/defroster wiring?

Comment

Maybe find a different ground location, I'm not really sure what you mean by brake lights/ defroster thing?

Comment

In the original post I mentioned that whenever I hit my brakes and when i turn the rear defroster on, I get increased static from the speakers. Any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by nparente View Post
            In the original post I mentioned that whenever I hit my brakes and when i turn the rear defroster on, I get increased static from the speakers. Any insight?
            Where is your ground?

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
              Where is your ground?
              Everything is grounded to their stock locations.

Comment

After removing one aftermarket stereo and installing another I had an alternator whine that became louder with my brakes. It seems 90% of these alternator whine issues are bad grounds on the head unit or amp, as opposed to induction somewhere along the wires.

I would just rewire your ground for your head unit. Not wanting to take all the center console out to get to a ground location around the transmission tunnel, I ran a straight shot of wire over the glove box and down to the metal on the upper portion of the kick panel. Grind down to bare metal. Pre-drill a hole. Use a good connnector and wire.

Comment

Working...
                X