Please help! Electrical short - FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! Electrical short - FIXED

So the battery on my '85 318i has been going dead recently. I noticed while replacing trunk and antenna seals that the antenna motor was arcing, so I cut the antenna off and pulled it out. I also went and got a new battery since the old one wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I just put the new battery in and connected a battery tender to get a full charge and went out to check on it and the battery dash light was on!? I worried I might still have a short. Thoughts? Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

After putting a new battery in today and hooking up a battery tender I went and chexk d on the car after it had been charging for about 8 hours. Battery light was still on. I was able to start the car a let it run fort than a minute. I then shut the car off and went back inside to read up. About 20 minutes passed.

I then went back out to inspect the alternator. The back of it was really warm to the touch, yet the rest of the motor is cool?

Comment

Had the alternator tested today. It passed. Something else connected the light circuit is draining the battery. Anyone care to chime in?

Comment

So this turned out to be insulation that had gone bad on both the blue exciter wires and the red positive from the battery, hence the drain and dash light being activated. Pulled the ends off the wires and applied heat shrink tubing, electrical tape and cloth tape to reinsulate and protect.

Major thanks to Patrick at Midnight Motorsports for helping diagnose this.

Comment

Working...
        X