Multigauge display.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multigauge display.

So I started working on a little display to monitor multiple engine sensors, just to waste some time. Here are some videos of what I've come up with so far. I don't have any actual sensors yet, so the values are arbitrary.

This one I attempted to match the factory amber color, and make the warning flash red, but the difference between the two colors is pretty slight, so I have to make some adjustments to the colors. My camera does an even worse job at picking up the colors.

What do you guys think? Cool? Complete waste of time? :)

Future plans may include a roundel startup screen.
    What would you add/change about it?
    Yes
    86.67%
    No
    0.00%
    Rob
    13.33%
    Last edited by Jalves619; 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM.

I like it. How big is it? where do you plant to fit this in the interior?
    98 M3/4/5

Comment

I am still unsure of where exactly its going to go. Initially I was thinking I could replace one of the vents with it. The screen itself is exactly the size of the smaller vent, but with the breakout board it may be too big for that spot. I could fit it in one of the larger vent holes, replace the OBC, or make a separate enclosure entirely.

Another idea was to replace the check panel, but incorporate the functions of the check panel into the new screen. I would need a bigger LCD to fill that area though.

Comment

Replacing the check panel would actually be pretty sweet, especially if it matched the rest of the interior lighting and whatnot.

Comment

I would pay tens of dollars for one of these snazzy gadgets.

Comment

Yeah.. wow. Very cool.

Vote for check panel location. That would be sweet indeed.

I'd be thinking in terms of a flat/simple panel replacement for the check panel - then have the unit mounted dead-center in that panel. A further request would be to have a little rocker switch next to it that turned display on and off.

The more low-key, the better. Mostly used as something that can be checked as desired to monitor health. Love that you strove for the factory amber.

Requested displays (in order from top to bottom)(coolant, oil, battery) :

Temperature
            Pressure
            Volts

The above is just me thinking out loud on what I consider paying for - along with guidance/instructions for install and any needed sensors to facilitate operation.
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I would mount it in the leftmost center vent. The problem with other locations is you can't quickly glance at it without taking your eyes off the road.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                I would mount it in the leftmost center vent. The problem with other locations is you can't quickly glance at it without taking your eyes off the road.
                +1
                any love for boost gauges?

Comment

Nice job!! That's awesome that you made that on your own. If we are making recommendations for gauges I like oil pressure, boost, and possibly afr?

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

I would definitely by one for the left center vent

Comment

left center vent, defenitely do it, can u do a air/fuel ratio as a sub for the fuel pressure
                      sigpic

Comment

I appreciate the comments.

As far as sensors goes you could measure just about anything. Boost and AFR would just be a matter of matching the code with the sensors being used. If I ever go tarbo I may have to make a bigger one to measure everything.

The more I look at what making this an actual product entails, the more I realize I don't have the resources or knowledge to produce these things commercially. I can't really justify just sending out an Arduino and some wiring as a "product".
                        Good sensors aren't that cheap either.

I'm a ME major not an EE so this is just a side project/learning experience for me. Plus I can't afford the alternative (4 Podi Gauges @ ~$140 a piece)

I'll keep this updated and post more as I work on it, in case some are interested in doing something similar.

Comment

I like the Massive Attack in the first video.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                            Vote for check panel location.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I would have also said check control panel area.

Comment

Working...
                              X