Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee deep in my trunk

And I have a few questions

First, what is this? Right above my battery, stuck up in the rear quarter panel. What does it do and can I remove it?

2nd, I want to do some cutting on the sheet metal behind my seat. How much of this is needed to be structurally solid?

I want to do something like this, just more extreme, enlarge the holes more, basically leave those 2 vertical bars and about a 2" edge on all the sides.
    (Sorry Nick, borrowed your pic):

I wanted to do a full cutout like jimi318is, but it's a bit too extreme and I don't trust my car to hold up to the abuse I put it through.

Originally posted by 808BMW
    And I have a few questions

First, what is this? Right above my battery, stuck up in the rear quarter panel. What does it do and can I remove it?

Gas tank filler door lock actuator

2nd, I want to do some cutting on the sheet metal behind my seat. How much of this is needed to be structurally solid?

Leave the verticle bars and the 2 hooks that the rear seat attaches to.

I want to do something like this, just more extreme, enlarge the holes more, basically leave those 2 vertical bars and about a 2" edge on all the sides.
    (Sorry Nick, borrowed your pic):

I wanted to do a full cutout like jimi318is, but it's a bit too extreme and I don't trust my car to hold up to the abuse I put it through.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I actually kinda made a pic of what I was thinking. Is this too much to cut out? (Yes, I know my backseat won't stay on without the hooks, got it covered)

Comment

I did this same thing in my Olds Toronado before. What I did was had pieces of piping welded in to keep from compromising integrity. Ended up bein more stout than before i cut it out. Unless you plan on doing something of this sort I wouldn't recommend cutting any of that area.

Comment

If I weld in bracing those 2 middle bars are gone.

I was hoping it would be strong enough with the 2 vertical bars.

If I'm going to have to deal with figuring out bracing and clean up the area then weld it in, it's going to be totally open like I really want it.

Comment

Cut it all out and do an X brace then. With the driving I'm sure you do you'll need that bracing before you end up launching yer rear window out of the sunnuva bitch. I cut all the stuff out of my Olds and when I'd go up inclines at an angle instead of hitting them straight on, I could feel and hear the car creaking and moaning from the lack of bracing in the rear. Thats when I had the piping welded in. It only cost me like 50 bux to have it done. After that the car was tight as could be in the trunk. No more creaks or moans.

Comment

Working...
            X