engine oil check light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine oil check light

I recently had the local reputable foreign auto shop put an oil pan gasket in my 87 IS. As I was driving home, the engine oil check light came on. I pulled over and checked the dipstick to find that the oil level was full. I added a few ounces just for drill and the light went out. This morning I started the car and the light mysteriously appeared again with the dipstick reading full. When the oil pan gasket was leaking the light never lied, when it was low, it was low. I was wondering where the oil lever sender is. Is it a float inside the pan that might be hanging up? Maybe they pinched a wire or i now have a bad sensor. Just looking for a little direction before I call the shop. Thanks

Which oil light is on? The one on the dash is oil pressure & the one above you i believe is the oil level light.

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

change your "engine oil" sensor located on the headers side under the oil filter if im not mistaking..
      "Do what you love, and love what you do" -Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by E30ruben View Post
        change your "engine oil" sensor located on the headers side under the oil filter if im not mistaking..
        wait what? there is a sensor to change your oil? I thought change oil was part of the maintenance lights (green/yellow/blue) located on the dash and was based on time or distance traveled.

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
        I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

The oil level sensor is mounted in the top of the left side of the oil pan, towards the front. Since it working fine before the gasket change, I'd first suspect a bad connection.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Is there a way to bypass the engine oil level sensor so it wont give you a light on the check panel? My connector is all messed up and wont connect to the sensor
            03 M3 Vert
            89 325i

Comment

Attach it to ground makes it turn of no?

Comment

Working...
              X