Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio wiring and oem amp

I have a 1987 325e auto.
    Completely stock stereo system except for replaced rear speakers.
    The PO just had the headunit unhooked laying in the dash.
    So im trying to get some ANY tunes back.
    The radio fires up and will play a speaker wired directly to the unit.

My problem is it will not play anything when hooked to the 2 yellow/blue wires coming out of the dash. The fader switch has been completely cut and im hooking the headunit directly to the wires. I looked by the power antenne for a oem amp but nothing there. Shouldnt I have more than 4 wires going to speakers in this setup? I see in the ETM the non amp system uses 2 wires to ea speaker from the radio. But there are only 4.

Im thinking maybe the amp is in a different spot?
    Maybe the amp was removed and the wires pushed back in the rear fender somewhere?

Oh my. Ummm

Look at your speakers. Are there not two wires connected to each of them? Follow those wires back to the radio. Connect them to the radio. Tunes!

By the way, your stereo system is NOT completely stock except for replaced rear speakers if the fader switch has been completely removed. The wires from your speakers probably went to that fader switch and are now dangling somewhere behind the dash. Good luck.

Comment

Make sure you have a good ground one wire goes to speaker from head unit the other should be grounded. so say you look at your speaker wire I believe yellow and blue color wires are your sound input the other brownish ones need to be grounded or you wont get any sound from your speakers. Also check your amp mine was full of moisture and needed to be replaced
      -His-
      87 e30 325i
      87 e24 m6
      05 e83 x3
      94 e32 740i 5spd
      -Hers-
      89 e30 325i
      18 f48 x1

Comment

Originally posted by hendrixvodu View Post
        Make sure you have a good ground one wire goes to speaker from head unit the other should be grounded. so say you look at your speaker wire I believe yellow and blue color wires are your sound input the other brownish ones need to be grounded or you wont get any sound from your speakers. Also check your amp mine was full of moisture and needed to be replaced
        Sounds like a good plan. I have the same problem. All stock and I have 4 speaker wires behind the oem head unit. No continuity between either 4. No sound. The ETM DOES show 2 wires to each speaker, and they come back to the head unit. ???

Btw I dont think any ETA's came stock with factory amp.

Comment

Oh and these 4 are the wires after the fader has been cut out. (PO)

Comment

Post some pictures of the wiring, and the cut out fader.

If the fader plug has been cut, you won't get any sound, as the 2 outputs from the deck go into the fader and split into four, with the grounds there.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Yes, yes. Four positive wires go from radio to fader. Fader harness though has all eight wires. Surely they are there. Just find the cut ends of the wire bundle that went to the fader.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
                Yes, yes. Four positive wires go from radio to fader. Fader harness though has all eight wires. Surely they are there. Just find the cut ends of the wire bundle that went to the fader.

AH HA! that is probably the problem. I will check it out. Thanks!

Comment

Yeesh.

Look, do yourself a favor and read the "amp bypass tutorial" and the "killer $500 stereo" thread, you will see how to deal with this mess...it ain't that bad,

First find out of you have the factory amp or not. Post results here, I will check back

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X