Strange Battery Problem. Need Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Battery Problem. Need Help!!

My car has a brand new battery that was bought last year but hasn't been used at all for the past 6 months. I went to autozone and got the battery recharged and the car started fine EVERY TIME with no issues whatsoever.

However, my car all of a sudden stopped turning on and it seemed like the battery was dead so I tried to jump start the car and it worked!

I don't understand how my battery could be bad already when it's pretty much new and I just got it recharged? Do you guys have any explanations for this?

Where was it stored while it was not in use?

Sounds like you either have a battery that just simply bought the farm from not being used, or you might have some corrosion on the terminals.

Inspect the terminals and clean them first.
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
      Where was it stored while it was not in use?

Sounds like you either have a battery that just simply bought the farm from not being used, or you might have some corrosion on the terminals.

Inspect the terminals and clean them first.
      it has been sitting outside. I cleaned the terminals and connections and everything.

Comment

Anyone else??? The car runs fine once i jump start it? Could it just be a bad battery?

Comment

I would guess that even a sealed battery sitting outside in California may soak up too much heat to stay sealed for long. In direct sunlight, a black object can exceed 240F. Water doesn't like that and turns to steam. The pressure inside the battery grows, seals crack, and water escapes. Effective voltage drops and the battery can no longer start a car.

That said... Why are you storing a new battery outside?

Comment

Stored outside not in the car on a cement floor? If so the cement floor killed your battery. Even outside in the car not used for 6 months could have done it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Have you checked to see if the alternator is working?
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

A battery sitting for 6 months with out being used/charged is pretty much guaranteed to be dead. Less acid batteries need to be kept up our they will go bad.

And the whole leaving a battery on concrete thing is a myth. The battery dies from sitting for a long time and has nothing to do with the concrete.

Comment

Working...
                X