Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late model cluster in a early model car (fuel reading issues fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late model cluster in a early model car (fuel reading issues fixed)

Hey guys, i know i don't post much unless i have something worth while to add. so here it is.
    So for the longest time had issues with readings from my fuel gauge reading incorrectly, on a full tank the gauge read full however empty it read just about half way, then the light would come on once low enough. However everything else read fine. The only reason i used a late model cluster in my early model car was because the tach worked (finally).
    As my search continued i found out that late model e30's used two fuel sending units in the tank in a series circuit (averaging the two readings going to the gauge.) So for poops and grins i pulled the fuel gauge out of the early model cluster and installed it in the late model cluster and it works perfectly! Just thought i should share the info just in case there are more of you out there trying to do this, or exhibiting these symptoms from their fuel gauge.

Enjoy!

I have the exact opposite problem of this, I dropped a earlier cluster in my 91' and a full tank became about half, Looks like I'll be pulling my cluster again. Thanks for the confirmation on that.
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
    X