2 new speakers needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 new speakers needed

Ok So Ive been doing a lot of work on my system recently and found out that 2 of my infinity 5.25 are blown. One has a huge chunk of foam missing and the other is just not making any sound, don't know if is a voice coil or what. So Im going to move the 2 good infinity speakers to the rear shelf but now I need to figure out what to put in the front.

Considering I have a luke box and new 5 channel amp should I consider just getting something cheap like these

and put those tweets where my stock ones are?

Or should I just get some cheaper stock woofers, keep the stock tweets and use these crossovers that I just found in an old box of parts?

the crossovers do seem a bit big and it might be hard to find a place to fit them though. opinions?
    Last edited by aaron325ix; 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM.
    sigpic

Aaron, you actually want to do both.

Get those MTX, ditch the shit crossovers they came with and use those old 'Quart crossovers with them.

Make sure there are no bits of the MTX crossovers left!

I wish I had a better recommendation, but bang for the buck, that is as good as it gets.

Oh: you can shove the crossovers in the dash, just extend the stock wires a couple feet.

GL!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      Aaron, you actually want to do both.

Get those MTX, ditch the shit crossovers they came with and use those old 'Quart crossovers with them.

Make sure there are no bits of the MTX crossovers left!

I wish I had a better recommendation, but bang for the buck, that is as good as it gets.

Oh: you can shove the crossovers in the dash, just extend the stock wires a couple feet.

GL!
      Luke
      I assume the MTX tweets are better than my stock ones if only slightly?..
      Should I remove the stock tweets and put the new ones in the sail panels?

Oh and do you have a specific desired location in the dash for the crossovers? I seem to be running out of space near the steering column..
      sigpic

Comment

Got the speakers in, however there is no inline crossover.

The crossover is a tiny thing in the tweet itself. These tweets seem smaller than the BMW stock tweets.

My question is, should I bother cracking open these tweeters and removing the crossover, and putting them into my sail panels?

Or, should I just trash the MTX tweets and use the stock ones with the new mids and MB quart crossover?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
          Got the speakers in, however there is no inline crossover.

The crossover is a tiny thing in the tweet itself. These tweets seem smaller than the BMW stock tweets.

My question is, should I bother cracking open these tweeters and removing the crossover, and putting them into my sail panels?

Or, should I just trash the MTX tweets and use the stock ones with the new mids and MB quart crossover?
          Damn...what crap. Yeah, do stock, but go find a pair of E34 tweets that were made after 3/93, front or rear. Grind them down to fit, use the 'Quart crossovers.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

meh, Ill just let you do that when you roll through town. :p

seriously though, if you have any of those on hand bring em with you
            sigpic

Comment

i have those same MB quartz crossovers in my e30. mite even have the 5.25 MB sitting around somewhere...
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                i have those same MB quartz crossovers in my e30. mite even have the 5.25 MB sitting around somewhere...
                lmk if you find them and how much you want. I'll ship these POS' back to crutchfield.
                Last edited by aaron325ix; 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

speakers

i just got a killer deal on ebay jbl 5.25 p562's coaxials. 2 pair for 152 bucks shipped and they sound killer! they can handle big power
                  1989 325ix(sold)
                  1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

let me try and dig them out, i think i have a tub full of 5.25 speakers, they should be in there.
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I just got in here to ask you about that. any idea what kind of power they can handle?
                      sigpic

Comment

you do not want co-ax in the front of an E30

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          you do not want co-ax in the front of an E30
                          no, I'm suggesting using golds MB mids, my MB crossovers, and stock sail panel tweets (or e34 tweets if you can bring me some)
                          sigpic

Comment

why don't you want coaxials in the front kicks? im no audiophile but the jbls I put in are sufficient. they can handle 165w. I have a 4ch amp in the trunk running 100w per ch. have a kenwood excelon head unit kdc x 896.
                            1989 325ix(sold)
                            1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Originally posted by Lenwood View Post
                              why don't you want coaxials in the front kicks? im no audiophile but the jbls I put in are sufficient. they can handle 165w. I have a 4ch amp in the trunk running 100w per ch. have a kenwood excelon head unit kdc x 896.
                              having your highs way down there isn't going to sound very good. I used to have coax down there years ago and finally ditched them and put tweets high up in the sail panels and it makes a huge difference.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X