Sedan Windows Have Power, Rears Won't Budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedan Windows Have Power, Rears Won't Budge

A few weeks ago the windows in my 1989 325i e30 sedan stopped working and the breaker wouldn't stay down. After messing around with the switches and breakers the front windows and one of the rear windows started working. Now both rear windows will not budge.

When I press either the console or window buttons in either direction I hear a click like the actuator is trying to roll down the window. It's very quiet and the window does not move a micron. According to my voltmeter everything has power.

Does this sound like both window motors have failed? Or could it be something else?

If the wiring at the window motor has power than I would say your motor is fried or binding on something. The only thing that makes me think its not the window motor is that both rears went out at same time. I would test the motors individually by putting 12v straight to them.

I had same problem when I got my sedan and it ended up being the switch on the console that was bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

A few weeks before this someone spilled chocolate milk on my console and it got into the two rear window buttons. I probably did a half-assed job of cleaning the switches afterwards so hopefully it's just a faulty switch.

Comment

Take one of the front switches and put it in the rear switch and see if the rear window works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Are the switches in the rear illuminated? Do they not roll down with the door mounted switches or both door and center console switched not functioning?
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X