Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HU has power but no sound

Hey all,
    So I turned on my 86 eta (premium sound) the other day and I had no sound. My aftermarket head unit has power but no sound. I checked the rear speakers for shorts, but they seem fine. It is my understanding that the factory amp cannot be used with an aftermarket head unit, can I rule that out? Also, I had a loose battery connection and the car died a few times a day before, possibly frying something.

What else should I check? I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to stereo equipment so don't assume I've covered the basics.

Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by AT-JeffT; 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM.

Yes, the stock amp can be used just fine with an aftermarket deck...but yours has likely died.

If I were you I would bypass that turd of an amp though, your new deck will sound far better

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

And you made sure you have your remote wire hooked up? I did that on my first hu install forgrt the remote and I was lost:p
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34_spangler View Post
        And you made sure you have your remote wire hooked up? I did that on my first hu install forgrt the remote and I was lost:p
        The head unit has been installed and working since I got the car years ago.

Comment

Did you get it figured out?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            Did you get it figured out?
            It turned out to be an intermittent issue. I'm pretty sure it was heat related. Now that the weather has cooled a bit, my radio is back.

I'm guessing its some cold solder on the amp. Sound about right?

How would I go about bypassing the amp?

Comment

follow the link in my sig...the thread is huge, but the info you need is there

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                follow the link in my sig...the thread is huge, but the info you need is there
                Ahh, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X