Head Unit Brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Unit Brands?

What are some good head unit brand names? I will be looking for one soon and want to get people's opinions on what is good. Now, I don't want the best of the best because frankly I don't have the money for it and don't need the best. So what do you prefer?

Andrew

Me? Nakamichi.

But a $400 HU is out of most people's price range.

That said, Clarion, Kenwood, Alpine all make good decks. Stay away from anything Sony.
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

When i consider heads i consider the following....

Alpine
      Pioneer Premier or Pioneer ODR Carrozzeria
      Nak (but their current standings as a company worry me)
      Denon
      Eclipse
      Clarion (there high end models and japanese addzest line)
      Sony ES (tho the ones from a few years ago not the es in the Xplod series)
      Rockford Fosgates DENON made models

for value i would go kenwood beacuse you get alot for your money but i dont generally consider them to be on par with the rest.. actually i should rephrase that the kenwoods are among the best in the low-mid range... and dont really have something on par with the really high end)

i would avoid
      rockford fosgate (cheap crap not made by them (i think its actually ac/delco)
      low end pioneer (all show)
      jvc
      aiwa
      sony xplod
      jensen
      panasonic although i really like panasonic generally for other stuff

Comment

you could definitely pick up a nice Denon off of eBay. They're really high quality.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Kris, you have expensive taste, BMW, Naka, G5, G4book... then again I have a BMW with a naka and an ibook :P
          although I got super deals on all of the above products

Nakamichi owns, btw.
          -do they have an aux in on all of them now? can we say iPod?

Comment

Ok, cool. Thanks for all the posts. Now, another question. Where are some good places to buy? I know e-bay might not be bad, but what about actual places to buy that would have specs and stuff?

Andrew

Comment

This website is for sale! carmedia1.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, carmedia1.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Ok, looks like I am looking at one of these two:

Pioneer - DEHP450MP

Clarion - DXZ545MP

Any opinions on these units?

Oh, and another note, I will be running Infinity Reference speekers, no amps, no subs. My car is small so it is not needed.

Andrew

Comment

You could probably go with either one and be happy. There really isn't much difference between the two, besides aesthetics.

How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

I'm looking to spend 200 or less. Don't want/need anything too great. Ss said before, my car is rather small. :)

Andrew

Comment

I bought the Kenwood MP522. Installing it today. Will let you know how it is. Installing Rockford Fosgate Coax in front, staying with stock in the rear at this time.
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                        Me? Nakamichi.
                        Second.

Looking for an amber unit for the BMW as we speak...eBay gods, please be kind

Comment

Ended up with Rockfords all around, very happy with the Kenwood deck and the speakers. Great price for a decent deck that plays mp3's.
                          Gary

Comment

Nakamichi here and $300 not $400.

Comment

Uh oh, I heard G4 and G5...Is there actually another Mac user in here? Just got a new iBook G4...love it. Been all about the Macs for years.

Anyway, I recommend Alpine, especially if you can afford their line with the 60x4 amp, these things bump and sound awesome! They can be had for $300.

I had an Eclipse last and the sound quality was great, but I was always having problems with it. I sent it in 2 or 3 times under warranty. The Alpine sounds twice as good as my old Eclipse. Nakas are nice, but for the money I don't think they offer enough features. Granted they look good in E30's, but for the music that today's generation listens to, they don't have much in the way of EQ adjustments, etc.

Check out www.epinion.com, they have some excellent reviews on head units there with great sources to buy from. I visit there frequently to get opinions.
                              -Brandon
                              '86 325es S50
                              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                              X