Tweeter question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweeter question.

Hey guys, my 91' 318i 4-door came with the basic sound system.
    A few years ago, I upgraded the rear deck to the premium OEM speakers + tweeters.

Now, I recently discovered that under the blank triangles on the front doors, there are two wires already run for the tweeters.

My question is: are these wires connected to anything on the other end?
    Can I just buy a pair of OEM tweeters, install plug-and-play?

I think that my front speakers are pretty shot as well, so I think that I'm going to soon follow suit like the rear, and upgrade those to OEM premiums as well.

But in the time being, I want to know if I can plug in OEM Premium tweeters and would they work with everything as is...

Thanks!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

bump.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

sina, the tweeter wires arent connected to anthing unless you get premium 5.25" speakers
      the wiring is all there. but you need the speaks and tweeter pods. takes like 5min to upgrade both.

sometimes i've seen the correct lower speakers and all you have to do it connect them to the tweeter wires.

either way im not satisfied with oem premium speakers
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
        sina, the tweeter wires arent connected to anthing unless you get premium 5.25" speakers
        the wiring is all there. but you need the speaks and tweeter pods. takes like 5min to upgrade both.

sometimes i've seen the correct lower speakers and all you have to do it connect them to the tweeter wires.

either way im not satisfied with oem premium speakers
        Eric, you have to know just how "picky" I am...the stock PS speakers aren't bad at all. You must have had something wrong somewhere, likely in the tweeter wiring, as isn't easy to deal with at all

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          Eric, you have to know just how "picky" I am...the stock PS speakers aren't bad at all. You must have had something wrong somewhere, likely in the tweeter wiring, as isn't easy to deal with at all
          i guess just different strokes for different folks. i know you swear by them and ya they are pretty good. but im just not a fan of their lack of low frequency response. but it's all in how you set up the system and how many db you want to hear. im sure sina will be more than happy with OEM premium.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

thanks for the great feedback guys. looks like i'm on the hunt for not only a pair of tweeters, but also OEM premium front speakers as well!

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Tweeters aren't wired unless it came with them from the factory. If using aftermarket you need a crossover, if using PS it's plug n play.
              Last edited by 702pjc; 01-22-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 702pjc View Post
                Tweeters aren't wired unless it came with them from the factory. If using aftermarket you need a crossover, if using PS it's plug n play.
                Not exactly...All E30s newer than '86 have the tweeter wires in the doors. If the car came with PS the negative wire is connected to a blue plug in the harness, just below the carpet. If you don't disconnect it from the stock PS harness, there will be issues if the stock amp is still in place.

If the car without PS, the tweeter wires are still there, you just have to chase them down. The blue plug is still under the carpet, but it is taped to the harness, as is the other wire.

Adding PS speakers is easy as long as you make sure to connect the negative lead properly.

And, of course, aftermarket needs some sort of crossover, that is correct.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

Yes these both terminate behind the front speakers. The Grey and Yellow has a little grounding plug that is wrapped a few inches below by the carpet. Cut the blue grounding plug end off the Yellow and Grey cable and connect it to the negative from your original kick panel speakers. Now you just need to find some PS fronts.
                    sigpic
                    1991 318is S52
                    1987 325i Vert
                    1991 325i
                    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

And just like that, my questions are answered. Thanks guys, yall da bomb!

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                        And just like that, my questions are answered. Thanks guys, yall da bomb!
                        Once again, R3V really should have a "Like" buttton

Closing SOON!

Comment

BTW I just removed some aftermarket 5.25 pioneers I had installed in exchange for some mint PS fronts/tweeters/rears and it sounds worlds better. Very crisp and balanced sounds, only problem was deciding to this after my roll cage and Recaros were in lol.
                          sigpic
                          1991 318is S52
                          1987 325i Vert
                          1991 325i
                          2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

sigpic
                            1991 318is S52
                            1987 325i Vert
                            1991 325i
                            2011 e70 X5