6.5"s in the rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5"s in the rear?

it doesnt take to much work to get the 6.5" in the rear deck does it? where should i put the tweeters for my rear speakers? just flush mounted into that deck??

also where are these tweeter pods located in the front, i have some 5.25's but i dont know where the put the tweeters, i was reading the other forum and there are supposed to be stock placement for them, well i cant find em. also
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

The tweeters should be at the base of the A-pillars. They're pretty obvious, so if you can't find them, you don't have them (they only came in premium systems).

I've never put 6.5's in the back, or tweeters (Why would anyone want to do either) but I'm sure a spacer ring would fit any size speaker back there, and any good tweeter should come with a flush mount.

Comment

i got a set of components for free from the neighbor so i figured id throw in the back, i usually have a lot of people in my car so it cant hurt.

and about the tweeters on premium systems if i found a car like this at the junkyard would i be able to throw them on my car and use my aftermarket ones?
      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

You're going to have some serious bad imaging, but yeah, you can put different stuff all around. The tweeter locations for the stock up front are in the triangle that covers the bolts for the side mirrors.

Comment

what do you mean bad imaging? by putting tweeters in the rear? if thats the case then i wont use em.
          1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

if the tweeters are balanced correctly, then you will be fine. But if you use the stock tweeters up front with some possibly decent tweeters in the rear, you may get high frequency coming primarlily from the rear of the car. Not exactly the best sound quality.

Comment

Bad imaging = Listening to a live band playing your favorite song, but your standing behind the stage with your back to them.

Keep the music in front of you at all times possible.

I'd run your free components up front, and leave the back as is.

Comment

Realistically, the only way to have rear fill "work" is to have it low passed (actually bandpassed) so it helps energize the cabin a little without being intrusive. Anything else and you'll get multiple point-sourcing, which is having the stereo image come at you from all types of angles, smearing it to the center of the car. You'll also increase your chances of getting some hardcore peaks and dips in the frequency response due to acoustic anomalies such as comb filtering. The easiest way to prevent things like this and achieve a nice absolute phase is to use the least amount of speakers possible. At most, 3-way components consisting of midbass, midrange, and tweeter, along with a good sized (12" works) woofer in the trunk. Anything more than this, you'll need to start getting some digital signal processing with time alignment.

However, not everyone is interested in having the image centered in the dash, instead they just want to hear the entire 20-20kHz frequency spectrum represented. Just letting you know, the more speakers you add, the harder it is to get everything to line up. The sound from each individual speaker arrives at our ears at a different time, so keep that in mind.
                I retired my E30 for now...
                E46 323i
                David Schultz

Comment

oh no i got the exact same speakers up front as i do in the back they are cadence components, neighbor got rid of em, i guess they are half decent, they were free and better then stock so i took em.
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
                  X