Aftermarket tweeter install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket tweeter install help

My car is an 89 325is with premium sound. The previous owner put in an aftermarket headunit, and kept the factory amp in the trunk. I replaced all the 5.25" speakers with Alpine Type S which was easy enough. When I took the old 5.25s out, they were connected with 1 all blue and 1 all orange speaker wire, and were wired to the tweeters with factory wiring.
    The question I have now: How do I wire aftermarket (Alpine Type R) tweeters in the front? I have searched and seem to be finding contradictory info, and people in the threads giving advice that someone else will say is wrong, but no solid answers as to what actually needs to be done.
    As it stands now I have Alpine 5.25's connected to only the blue and orange speaker wire.
    I can see the gray/green and gray/yellow wire that connects from the tweeter pod and goes into the kick panel. I also have an unconnected bundled together gray/white and gray/brown. There are also two gray/browns that connect to a plug that was plugged into the gray/yellow tweeter wire.
    On the Alpine tweeter box, it says to connect the tweeter to the supplied crossover, and connect the crossover to amp.
    I don't want to try and run anything through the door if I don't have to, so I was planning on connecting the gray/yellow and gray/green to the Alpines at the tweeter pod, then in the kick panel connecting gray/yellow and gray/green to the crossover. Where do I connect the wires from the crossover into (the ones that say "to amp")?
    Last edited by diesekte; 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM.

If it had factory tweets just connect those to the same asyour speakers, spice em in. No crossover?

Comment

The factory tweets were blown, which is why I got the alpines. It looks like the amp is bypassed but all the words are still here just not connected to anything. Speaker wire goes from HU to speakers. I just connected from the speaker wire to the crossover to the tweeter. Seems to be working fine

Comment

Sheesh, this is a simple one. First, locate the wires in the door. Yours is PS, so they should be connected to the tweeter. Either way, gray/yellow and gray/green. Note which connector is smaller, that is the negative.

Pull your stock speaker out. Look in the harness above the speaker but in the kick panel, you will see a gray/yellow and a gray/green. Whichever is positive runs to the stock PS speaker. The other runs to a connector just past the speaker opening.

Install your tweeter in the stock opening using the stock wires. Connect the crossover that came with your Alpines to the wires behind the kickpanel, and voila, you are done.

The gray wires (which is what that other tweeter wire is connected to) come from the amp in the trunk.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
        X