Anybody ever do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever do this?

Here's a pic that looks like a possibility for the front speakers in an E30. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thatd be sweet as I never use the map pockets anyways. Would you be able to fit anything bigger than the 5 and a quarters that are in the kick panels though? Doesnt seem worth it if you cant put a larger speaker in.
    Back to my roots

Comment

Jordan made some prototypes, don't know if he ever sold them.

Oh yeah, the guys that sell HID kits made them also. Forgot what the website was called. They were members on this forum.
      Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Ken did something like that, except his only housed one woofer. Dunno why you'd want to do that unless you were trying to fit 6.5" woofers. The thing is, moving the speakers to the doors also requires you to deaden the crap out of the doors because of their thin and hollow structure. If you do something like that, you gotta be prepared to spend a lot of time (and money) deadening. The kickpanels are actually not too bad for midranges, and the doors would be good if you wanted to add component midbasses to complement your stereo. You don't really want to enclose the midrange/midbass combo speaker (which is what all 2-way component systems use) off though, because it can easily make your mids sound like shat.
        I retired my E30 for now...
        E46 323i
        David Schultz

Comment

It'd probably work better if there were 7" and 4" mounts for a 3-way (tweeter, mid, woofer) front stage.

Comment

Ive seen several setups that way. Takes a lot of time to make them look and sound good. The shop I worked at did a Alpine 3 way component setup in a door for a Mk2 golf.

Sounded great, however the speakers we used were Alpines flag ship speaker.
            Mucho Money!

Comment

I used to 2 pair of peerless 5.25 mids in the door, but ran them as a "2 1/2" way...meaning both mids had low frequencies (80Hz and up), but I cut one off so it ran midbass only (200Hz).

If you put 2 drivers in close proximity it causes what is known as a "comb filter" which sounds like ass IMO in a front stage, off axis, in a door.

To answer the original question, Yes. I have done probably 30 cars with that basic configuration.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
              X