Amp over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp over heating

My amp was in the trunk of my e36 m3 sedan and it over heated after prolong use. When I started DD my crew cab 07 silverado it over heats after about 3-5 songs. This amp powers two 10" mtx subs. The amp is a kenwood kac-7205 and it has an internal fan.

There isn't much air flowing by the amp as it's mounted to the back truck wall behind the crew seat. The sub box is under the seats so there isn't really anywhere else to put it.

Any suggestions on amps that will stay cool or any tips.
    Last edited by e30e; 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM.
    1985 BMW 325e
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

The answer is in your post

Most of the time when fans overheats

It's either the built in fan ( if it has one )

Or not enough air

Amps generate a lot of heat ,
    The thermal cut off trips when it get way too hot as in your case

Need more air

OO ||| OO + O w O

Comment

Amp over heating

Is there aftermarket fans out there that designed for this problem or do I need to become an engineer?

I can't get more air back there.
      1985 BMW 325e
      1997 BMW M3/4/5

Comment

You don't need fans: you need to re-wire.

I would be willing to bet you have your amp wired in mono on a pair of 4 ohm woofers in parallel, meaning a 2 ohm mono load. Your amp is 2 channel, meaning you are using your amp at twice the load it is capable of.

You can either change to DVC woofers or change to a mono amp, or just run 1 of the woofers, but one way or another, its very likely just an impedance issue.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thank you for the reply, I'm back home. The subs are actually 4 ohm pioneers; originally wired in series. Rookie/bonehead mistake. I took out the box and re wired them in parallel.

Brain fart on my part not even to think about my wiring, considering I wire every day. My ego told me I wired them right 2 years ago. Appreciate the help!
          1985 BMW 325e
          1997 BMW M3/4/5

Comment

Working...
          X