new system installed question about amp wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new system installed question about amp wiring

Ok so i just installed a head unit 4 5 1/2" speakers and a 10" sub with a 350w 4 channel amp, i have the sub bridged with channel 1 and channel 2.. it works and sounds pretty good, but the amp connections confuse me a little, it looks like an old school amp, "Optimus" is the brand.

Problem is it has this for connections

sorry for the bad drawing, But at the moment i have the +12v power wire going from the battery and at the amp connection side i have the cable split in the middle connected to both of the amps +12v terminals so the cable splits to a Y at the amp, Same with the Ground it is y split at the end and attached to both the Negative terminals on the amp, Is this correct? or is it hooked up wrong?? can someone explain to me please?

This is how i have it at the moment

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, But i really am not familiar with car audio, and also, i soldered and heat shrink wrapped every connection, including the connections to the speakers, i assume this is a better way than using butt connectors or twist caps??
    Last edited by NeedaE30; 05-08-2014, 11:23 PM.

Got a picture of it?

As long as your solder joints were good, they will be fine. A good crimp is also good as well and much easier. NEVER use "twist caps" (wire nuts) in a car. They are meant for solid wire in a house ONLY.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      Got a picture of it?

As long as your solder joints were good, they will be fine. A good crimp is also good as well and much easier. NEVER use "twist caps" (wire nuts) in a car. They are meant for solid wire in a house ONLY.

Unfortunately i do not have a picture at the moment i can try to snap one later, But I'm pretty sure my solder joints are all good, i have soldered before everything looks and sounds really good, I chose to solder because in my opinion butt connecters, even if you stagger them, end up with a huge clump of ugly ,solder and heat looks nearly oem

I'm really curious if i should have the negative and positive split between each terminal or if i should have them each only connected to one + & - terminal... my drawing is the best i have at the moment its a pretty accurate drawing of what im describing

Comment

You are overthinking this horribly. The only reason there is two terminals is because they found a good deal on barrier strips. As long as you have a nice solid connection with any wire bigger than 12ga,its all good.

You see four connections, but really it's just two double terminals.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaE30 View Post
          I chose to solder because in my opinion butt connecters, even if you stagger them, end up with a huge clump of ugly ,solder and heat looks nearly oem
          I use uninsulated butt connectors and shrink tubing. When crimped, they are almost the same size as the wire. No big lumps like you said.

Here is one I did.

I get them from Digi-Key.

Order today, ships today. 31819 – Terminal Butt Splice, Inline, Individual Openings Connector Crimp 14-16 AWG from TE Connectivity AMP Connectors. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
          Last edited by AndrewBird; 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X