Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some stuff from a friend, is it any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some stuff from a friend, is it any good?

My friend gave me some MTX stuff and I'm wondering if its any good.

the sub is a MTX thunder 5000

the amp is a MTX rated at 160 watts rms and 280 dynamic power? (i dunno what that is)

I think i want to use some better stuff but i just want to make sure.

Im thinking the infinity perfect 10" woofer and can someone recomend a fairly cheap approxamatly 300 watt amp? There is a jenson 300w amp on ebay that looks like it will go for cheap, will it be fine for a budget sub setup?

I would bet that the MTX makes more usable power. As a general rule, MTX amps are decent, as a general rule Jensen sucks (KA series excepted).

I have had Perfect 10's. I helped "Beta test" the Perfect 12. I like them pretty well, but they both need more power than average to be loud.

The T5000 is a decent sub, but is best served by a ported box. A proper box behind that sub combined with an honest 300 watt amp would make pretty groovy bass. Not quite true "Ghetto Boom", but pretty serious anyway.

I would be willing to kick down a sweet deal on an amp, if you can't find locally. Honestly enough, the MTX combo with the right box would be pretty nice.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I've had two perfect 12s (one, then the other, not together), and I find them to be one of the cleanest sounding subs I've heard so far. I would definitely buy one more if I could find a dealer within a 2000 mile radius of here LOL.
      This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

I just looked up the model number of that jenson, and the seller was bsing the watt rating.

I'm not looking for insane bass, I just want the music to sound better.

so i thinking this woofer

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S4t2VU7...0&I=108PER101D

maybe this amp but its more then i'd like to spend

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S4t2VU7...0&I=489AP1000M

edit found it for 95

All the reviews on crutchfeild were great, most people had it powering 2 woofers. what do you guys think?

edit agian. I think the profile ap600 may be the one for me. 300 watts rms bridged at 4 ohms, and 75 shipped on ebay

where should i get the wood for a box?
        Last edited by e304me; 04-15-2006, 06:29 PM.

Comment

1 DVC woofer + 2 channel amp = bad news.
          Profile is Doodoo.

Try to find "Ranger" brand MDF, otherwise whatever MDF home depot has.
          Do not waste your time with either plywood or particle board...$20 won't kill you.

Do you have a table saw? Cabinet stapler? Jig saw? I am going to make boxes this week, I swear!

Luke.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

What is a cabinet stapler?

Comment

I'm guesing he means a staple gun?
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing as well, but I'm also wondering where he'd use a staple gun in a cabinet.

Comment

You can use it for carpeting or use staples (with a pneumatic stapler) instead of wood screws to join the pieces.

Thie page of the bcae1.com site helps you to calculate the volume of your speaker enclosure. Further tips are included to help you build a strong, reliable, good looking enclosure.

That's pretty much all you'll need.
                  I retired my E30 for now...
                  E46 323i
                  David Schultz

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk
                    What is a cabinet stapler?
                    Pneumatic cabinet stapler, used to assemble cabinets. Mine shoots a staple with a 1/4" crown, with a max length of 1 5/8".

With my air pressure at 120 PSI, I can shoot clear through 1/4" MDF.

Screws SUCK for box building. No matter how careful you are at countersinking and drilling, you will split the wood. Staples are to hold the box together until the glue dries, same as screws.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

I just purchased a slightly used infinity perfect 10" amp with a box for 110 shipped. I also got a profile 310w amp for around the same price. Im not looking for car shaking bass i just want some bass to go with the treble!

I have ran RCAs, along with a single wire for the turn on, I hook this to the headunit power wire right?

how do i mount the sub box to the trunk floor?

Comment

Remote turn-on hooks up to the blue/white wire. You want switched 12v, not constant. Run it on the opposite side of the car if you get noise problems.

As far as the box, just get some L brackets and bolt it to the floor. There are other ways, but this is easiest. Watch out for the fuel tank, though.
                        I retired my E30 for now...
                        E46 323i
                        David Schultz

Comment

Working...
                        X