factory e30 stereo upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

factory e30 stereo upgrade?

Has anyone atempted to retain the factory e30 headunit and just wire in a factory amp from something newer? I have an e36 M vert setup that I had a friend scope up for me. Amp, and HK speakers that I'm going to attempt to wire into my e30 as long as no one objects from previous experiences.

It doesn't have a MOST so I'm fairly confident that it should work.

You would be a lot happier getting an aftermarket 4-channel amp and using that. Pretty much every stock amp ever made in any car is crap compared to even the cheapest aftermarket 4-channel amp. They are all super under powered. Most aftermarket HU have more power than most stock amps.

Comment

Well im not looking for anything outstaning, I'm just trying to get something better then the AM talk show man talking into a coffee mug sound quality. I had an e36 M coupe that sounded awesome witht the stock hk. But since i have a vert e30 i figured why not try it out another vert e36 with the hk.

Comment

Still, an aftermarket 4-channel amp will be better, easier to hook up and tuneable. A lot of stock BMW amps have built i crossovers as well, which may or may not work well with E30 speakers.

Comment

If your goal is better SQ, don't waste time fucking around with later BMW amplifiers, they are absolute crap.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Okay so don't use oe amps, but you guys are saying just wire in any amp? I'm retaining the stocm head unit, I don't want to change the apperance of the interior.

Comment

Absolutely. Pick pretty much any cheap 4 or 5 channel amp, you can feed it with the stock deck and have stock functionality with a big sound quality improvement, especially if you use a subwoofer.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Okay, i'll have to check into it alittle more.

Comment

Won't I need an aftermarket hu to do this though? The factory unit doesnt use rcas so how would i wire in an aftermarket amp? I think I'm not following you guys..

This is what I've been leaning to for aftermarket. I've had jensen before, plus its my last name. All the better

Comment

Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
                    Won't I need an aftermarket hu to do this though? The factory unit doesnt use rcas so how would i wire in an aftermarket amp? I think I'm not following you guys..
                    You would have to buy older used amplifier that has "high" inputs. Then you run rear speaker wires to the amplifier. Then you install two 6 1/2 high wattage speakers, they will fit in stock 5 1/2 opening in the rear. It will be very loud.
                    I did this back in 90s.

Comment

A lot of new amps have high level inputs as well, you don't have to get an old amp. You can also get converters to do it if you really have to.

Comment

I'm not much of an audio guy lol. I'm great with everything else. Just audio is not my usual.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Absolutely. Pick pretty much any cheap 4 or 5 channel amp, you can feed it with the stock deck and have stock functionality with a big sound quality improvement, especially if you use a subwoofer.
                          Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
                          ]
                          Did I not say you can use a stock deck with just about any amp?

if you want to know how to wire it in, ask that....but don't ask the same damn question twice.

Pick an amp, ideally something like this:

And the wiring is very simple, all I need to know is which stock deck and what audio system the car came with.

Then, there is this:

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                          A lot of new amps have high level inputs as well, you don't have to get an old amp. You can also get converters to do it if you really have to.
                          Converters sound like shit. Use them only in cases of desperation. Well, the ones you would be willing to pay for, there are plenty that are $200 that sound great, but all the cheapies sound horrid. Make absolutely certain you get an amp with high level inputs, they are not rare at all.

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                          You would have to buy older used amplifier that has "high" inputs. Then you run rear speaker wires to the amplifier. Then you install two 6 1/2 high wattage speakers, they will fit in stock 5 1/2 opening in the rear. It will be very loud.
                          I did this back in 90s.
                          Don't be silly.

Closing SOON!

Comment

My bad you did already tell me that.

The car is a 7/92 325ic, im going to be putting the 4 large speakers from the 99 m3 vert which are HK here in a couple of days when I find time.

Comment

Im not sure what the audio system is. I'll have to run the vin at work and get a print out of my option codes for you

Comment

Working...
                              X