OEM radio max volume knob but low volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM radio max volume knob but low volume

The sound in my car has always been screwed up volume-wise. So, I recently installed some premium speakers in the back hoping to have a chance to listen to some music again. However, even with the new speakers, the volume is still messed up. By messed up, i mean its really soft, so soft that even road noise is louder than anything playing.

Is this a problem with the radio? or the amp? Should I just get an aftermarket radio installed?

Have a look at your wiring, whether it's original or not, and make sure it's proper. It depends on the year of your car, and whether it was originally premium or not, but the info is here and elsewhere. Check Luke's threads (StereoInstaller1).

If you can confirm your wiring is good, and your speakers are good (probably assuming you just replaced them), an aftermarket deck would eliminate the radio and the stock amp, because you have to bypass the amp to use an aftermarket deck. Luke also has a thread for that.

Dan

Comment

Do you hear any crackling when turning the volume knob? Could be dirt in the knob itself. Otherwise, I'd say your factory amp died.

Comment

I am pretty sure the radio wiring was original. No crackling when turning the knob so this calls for a new amp?

Is the amp located in back? Number 20?

Comment

Output amps are blown.

Comment

Yes, the amp is located in the rear fender well in the trunk under the power antenna.

Buying an aftermarket stereo and by-passing the amp will give you the best bang for your buck. Much better sound quality with the ability to upgrade later if wanted.

Comment

This is fairly common these days, i get a few PMs a year about it.

Most likely your stock amp is dead. Most likely it was caused by water, that most likely being caused by a crappy antenna grommet.

If you are trying to keep the stock deck, find another amplifier (I have a known good one for sale if needed) and check that antenna grommet. If you want to do an actual diagnosis, thats pretty easy too.

You will need a testlight and a test speaker. The speaker can be any old "whatever you have lying around" speaker, ideally like a small home speaker, but known good. Needs a couple feet of wire, too. Soldering the ends of the wire so it is easier to use isn't a bad idea either.

The testlight can be your basic $5 special from WalMart or any auto parts store.

Let me know if I should continue typing...

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I finally pulled apart the trunk driver side quarter panel carpet but I could not find an amp in there. I read in some threads that cars that comes with regular (not premium) speaker systems do not have amplifers in the trunk. Are there other reasons why the volume is so low? Could it be a bad head unit? Should I take apart the radio and see if its the knob's problem?

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Correct, only premium systems have an amp... Otherwise you get a total of about 10 watts RMS for all 4 speakers...

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Oh... Is that the reason why my premium speakers are stuck with this low volume? I had this problem even with my old standard speakers though. Would replacing the head unit fix this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by toby1017@gmail.com View Post
                      Oh... Is that the reason why my premium speakers are stuck with this low volume? I had this problem even with my old standard speakers though. Would replacing the head unit fix this issue?
                      Yes, to an extent. Right now you have 4.3X2 RMS power. With an aftermarket deck you will have 12.5X4 for a total of 50 watts RMS, so you will get almost double the volume.

Double the watts doesnt do shit, has to be 10X the wattage to make a useful difference. Going from 8.6 to 50 will be a big help.

Best of luck!
                      Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                      X