Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock radio turns on, no sound comes from speakers... What can it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock radio turns on, no sound comes from speakers... What can it be?

Sup r3v,

When I bought my car, the PO said all the speakers work the last time he checked... (car sat for 2 years, and PO bought in an auction...)

Bought car, went to dealership got radio code... Radio turned on, no sound came out...

First I thought, ok. Speakers are busted -- I replaced the 2 fronts with new ones... Turned everything back on -- no sound...

What could the problem be?

1. Fuses/Relays need to be replaced?
    2. Factory amp blown/destroyed? (Sitting for 2 years, rain got in?)
    3. Wiring behind stock head unit?

If so, what are possible solutions?

1. Replace broken fuses/relays
    2. Get a new headunit (will this fix everything?)
    3. Re-wire speakers? (I don't want to do this because I want to keep stock BMW wires)

Let me know your thoughts!

JP

My '87 Alpinweiß 325is Build Thread | Parts FS | Parts Wanted | Feedback

Turn the volume of the radio up high, and see if you are getting any sound from the speakers. Might have to turn volume to max.

If you are getting any sound from the speakers at all, replace the amp.

If you are getting no sound, pull the headunit and check the wiring and connectors. Take into consideration the age and condition of headunit, as it might of gone bad.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
      Turn the volume of the radio up high, and see if you are getting any sound from the speakers. Might have to turn volume to max.

If you are getting any sound from the speakers at all, replace the amp.

If you are getting no sound, pull the headunit and check the wiring and connectors. Take into consideration the age and condition of headunit, as it might of gone bad.
      No sound at all in any volume range.

I'll double check connectors -- though last time I pulled it out, they seemed normal.

And true -- I'm just hoping that I can salvage some use out of it before I upgrade.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jprastrullo View Post
        Sup r3v,

When I bought my car, the PO said all the speakers work the last time he checked... (car sat for 2 years, and PO bought in an auction...)

Bought car, went to dealership got radio code... Radio turned on, no sound came out...

First I thought, ok. Speakers are busted -- I replaced the 2 fronts with new ones... Turned everything back on -- no sound...

What could the problem be?

1. Fuses/Relays need to be replaced?
        2. Factory amp blown/destroyed? (Sitting for 2 years, rain got in?)
        3. Wiring behind stock head unit?

If so, what are possible solutions?

1. Replace broken fuses/relays
        2. Get a new headunit (will this fix everything?)
        3. Re-wire speakers? (I don't want to do this because I want to keep stock BMW wires)

Let me know your thoughts!

JP
        JP, is this in the '87?

First thing to check is power at the amplifier. You should have 12V on the big red wire and the small while wire.

Use a testlight to check for power. If you don't have one, go buy one.

Once you get confirmation that you have power to the amp and still no music, find another E24/E28/E30 amp and swap it in.

If all that fails, post your results, can tell you what to test next.

GL
        Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          JP, is this in the '87?

First thing to check is power at the amplifier. You should have 12V on the big red wire and the small while wire.

Use a testlight to check for power. If you don't have one, go buy one.

Once you get confirmation that you have power to the amp and still no music, find another E24/E28/E30 amp and swap it in.

If all that fails, post your results, can tell you what to test next.

GL
          Luke

Yes! on the 87.

Luke thanks for the tip. The amplifier is located in the trunk underneath the carpet on the driver's side?

I do have a test light... or voltmeter -- same thing here right?

Lastly, how do I check for power? Which probes do I put where (lol)

Sorry for such noobish questions -- electrical/audio stuff on the e30 has always been a grey area for me.

Comment

Working...
          X