Remote wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote wire

86 325e coupe. My understanding is that the antenna has a remote wire attached to it. For use with an amp should i tap into it in the trunk? Should I run a separate wire from the deck? Is it all the same regardless of where I split the wire? Or should I do non of the above?

Depending on what sound system your car has, you may have a white wire from your factory radio that splices into two in the radio harness. One of these is the power signal to the antenna and the other for the factory amp. If your radio harness isn't hacked up this splice should still be intact behind the dash. My car had factory 'premium' sound - your car may differ.

If you do have the separate amp wire, you could use it as the remote wire if you're doing a complete system overhaul. Plenty of threads about that here.
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

In his case, it's an ETA, so likely no factory amp. If you run a wire, you can have then antenna separately controlled. If you don't care, you can tap into the white wire at the antenna.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Cool thanks for the replies. Yes it's a non premium system and I do see the splice in the dash and nothing is connected to it (only controlling antenna). If I were to use that splice would the antenna and amp have separate control although they come of the same connection?

Comment

Working...
        X