Head unit wiring - don't shun me I tried existing threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit wiring - don't shun me I tried existing threads

So I have a relatively early ETA (2/85 prod. date) with the four speaker non premium stereo setup, including the fader switch in the dash.

I've looked at several threads on how to connect my head unit (old Alpine detachable face cassette deck) to the factory wiring. After removing some junk from previous stereo I am left with the following "free wires":

Wire Colors:
    Red/Green
    Yellow/Brown
    Brown
    Yellow
    Blue
    Blue/Brown
    Purple/White
    Red/White
    White

Here are the wires that feed into the fader switch:

Wires that feed into the fader:
    Yellow Black
    Yellow Red
    Yellow
    Blue Black
    Blue Red
    Blue

Here are the speaker wires:

Left Front

Left Front colors:
    Yellow Red
    Yellow Brown

Right Front

Right Front colors:
    Blue Red
    Blue Brown

Left Rear

Left Rear colors:
    Yellow Black
    Yellow Brown

Right Rear

Right Rear colors:
    Blue
    Blue Brown

Pic of wiring diagram from receiver

I am pretty confident about making the connections for 12V power, main ground, switched power, antennae. It is the speakers that are driving me nuts.

I assume that the "free" blue and yellow wires in the dash deliver the speaker signal to the fader, which splits them L to R (or front to back). Do I just connect multiple speaker source wires from the head unit to either the blue or yellow wire? If so, how? Or do I hack into the fader switch by wiring to the corresponding fader wires, for example:

RF+ Grey (head unit) to Blue/Red (fader)
    RF- Grey/Black (head unit) to Blue/Black (fader)
    and so on...

Help! Wiring is not my strong suit for sure.

Unwrap more, until you get to the Junction of the fader wiring and the deck harness. Go about 6" past that Junction and pray you see more yellow/brown and blue/brown wires

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

You MUST have 2 wires per speaker at the deck, you cannot combine any of them

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Okay so I pulled the console panel and took a pic:

11 wires total
        Yellow/Black
        Yellow/Red
        Blue/Black
        Blue/Red
        Purple/White
        Red Brown or Grey
        Yellow Brown
        Blue Brown
        Red White
        Brown
        White

The Blue and Yellow wires just led to the fader switch. I am thinking that the original radio just had L/R balance adjustment, and the fader switch adjusted signal for Back/Front adjustment. Original radio might have used the Yellow Brown and Blue Brown as the ground, Yellow and Blue as the signal to the fader, which then split it up to back and front. My left side speaker wires are all Yellow, and right side speaker wires are all Blue.

I unwrapped the factory tape (still intact) several inches prior to the junction with the head unit wires/fader wires and I can't see any evidence of splicing or cut wires.

How about this as a theory:

Right front speaker
        Splice Grey (head unit) to Blue/Red (dash) for +
        Splice Grey/Black (head unit) to Blue/Brown (dash) for -

Left front speaker
        Splice White (head unit) to Yellow/Red (dash) for +
        Splice White/Black (head unit) to Yellow/Brown (dash) for -

Right rear speaker
        Splice Purple (head unit) to Blue/Black (dash) for +
        Splice Purple/Black (head unit) to Blue/Brown (dash) for -

Left rear speaker
        Splice Green (head unit) to Yellow/Black (dash) for +
        Splice Green/Black (head unit) to Yellow/Brown (dash) for -

The above would eliminate the factory fader and front/rear speaker pairs on each side would share a ground (i.e. two head unit wires spliced into a single dash ground wire).

Does that seem reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Unwrap more, until you get to the Junction of the fader wiring and the deck harness. Go about 6" past that Junction and pray you see more yellow/brown and blue/brown wires
          I think in the earlier cars with non-premium sound the ground splices are under the front seats, not in the dash. Not worth looking for. Mine is from 12/85 and is like that, anyway.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          You MUST have 2 wires per speaker at the deck, you cannot combine any of them
          YES. Don't use common grounds between speakers, that can fry a 4-channel amp. Bypass the fader entirely, it's useless. Use the factory + and – wires for the back, and run new + and – to the fronts. Be sure to twist the pairs, I failed to do that and ran into trouble with RFI. This was my troubleshooting thread, I also made a few diagrams.

(correct me if I'm wrong, not an expert. just finished doing my own stereo, however. came out nice)
          Last edited by modernist; 11-26-2014, 10:32 PM.

1986 327i
          transaction feedback
          DIY thing
          meh

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I cut out the fader and used the factory speaker grounds for the rears. I'll run new twisted pairs for the fronts.

Deck powered up but antennae is not picking up reception too well...had to graft in a new end plug and didn't realize that there is a small wire at the center under the white plastic sheathing. Will recut and solder that joint and try to reinforce it a bit.

But the head unit works! Now to hunt down some cassettes LOL.

Comment

Woot! Ya, coaxial cables suck... But you now have a grip on it, congrats!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Add far as the antenna goes, radio shack sells connectors that require no soldering and work very well.

Comment

Working...
                X