Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Identify Sound Wiring!

Hello r3v audiophiles ,

I seem to have two wire harnesses coming out of the dash. I would like to identify all the wires first. I will preform the factory amp bypass procedure.

Here is the mess!

Last edited by indecline; 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM.
    1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

I'm no expert but I am guessing the blue and blue striped is a speaker as well and the yellow and yellow striped is another speaker. The solid brown should be ground.

I to would like to know what the brown/pink does.

Comment

The first set was to the fader and the second set was to the head unit. The color codes can be found in a sticky in this forum.

Comment

I thought the other harness was for the fader switch. Funny thing is there wasn't one present
        Last edited by indecline; 11-29-2014, 08:58 PM.
        1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

Comment

Your '89 came with a fader.

That harness looks like the non-premium harness, meaning no amp.

Pull that WAY further out of the dash, you may have to remove it from the bundle at the back of the dash, behind the deck. You should find the fader branch of that harness.

Yellow and blue are the inputs to the fader, brown stripes join the fader harness, and about 6" past the fader branch they junction into the 4 separate negatives, twisted into pairs with their positive.

Here are your 4 speaker positives:

LF: Yellow/red

RF: Blue/red

LR: Yellow/Black

RR: Blue/red

Now, go buy a testlight and a 9V battery so you can test instead of guessing.

Kick some ass!

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

So there are 4 pair of speaker wires. I easily identified them with a big thanks to Luke!

Now these are left: White, Purple, Red/Grey, Red/Grey, Brown, and Brown

I've also found a factory amp in the truck. Weird

Last edited by indecline; 11-30-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

No, you found the check panel control relay, but now that you found it, pull the plugs off and scrub the contacts with some electrical contact cleaner.

Do you know how to identify the speakers using a 9v battery? Just a quick tap and the speaker will "pop"

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Perfect. You've a great help. I will check with a 9volt and post my findings

Comment

I sorta made some progress. Heard the Kenwood Unit turn on so I stuck a CD in there. I'm not hearing it turn on anymore. FML for now
                  Last edited by indecline; 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

So did you test to see if you had power on the red and yellow?

Closing SOON!

Comment

The Red/Green accidentally touched the Brown when I crimped them and produced a small shock. I know so much fail lol.

Here is my most updated list. I will be trying again tonight with more patience granted the Kenwood Deck still works.

Does this seem accurate? I STILL have 2 extra wires unaccounted for a smaller gauge White and Brown
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by indecline; 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Small white is power antenna, connect to solid blue on Kenwood. Should only be up in tuner mode, down for CD

Closing SOON!

Comment

Small brown might be fader ground.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                          X