Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Stereo from MR2 to E30

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on my setup and how I can use adapt this to the E30. I picked up a 318i s50 swapped from my old college buddy a few days ago and immediately fell in love. The car is without a stereo system and I figured I'll move my MR2 components since its progressively becoming an unbearable track car.

I have:
    Deck: Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Component Set; 2 tweets 2 mids: Polk Audio DXi6501
    Mono Amplifier: Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-D1200M 400 watts @ 4 ohm Amplifier
    Sub Woofer: Pioneer Stage 4 TS-W252PRS 10" Subwoofer

Will buy:
    10" Luke Box, Once I identify the rest of the components.

In the MR2 all I needed were the front speakers since its a two seater but I was wondering what I should use for rear speakers? or use rear speakers at all?

Should I get another 4 channel amp, run mids and tweeters up front and run coax in the rear?

Any help is appreciated. I was/still am an MR2 fanatic but the e30 is my mistress and I want to see how great I can make it.

Thanks,
    Mario

I still have an AWII(first gen).
    I find the staging to be great when set up appropriately. The cabin is so small, there is really little need for rear speakers.

I have a set of Crystal 3ways installed and a 10 in the "frunk" all being driven by a 4 channel amp bridged for the sub. It POUNDS, and is SQL quality.

The e30 is a different animal. Setting up the "stage" is more difficult. I use rear fill to give more dimension to my music, but very little.

Take your stuff, grab a luke box and go to town. The factory premiums, if you have them, are actually quite good as long as you're not looking for competition level sound.

If you would rather use the 6.5" separates, throw the mids in the doors, the tweets in the stock location, or near the mids, and your midrange will improve dramatically. Staging is a little tough, but with some experimentation can be put right in front of your face.

I have two Luke boxes, one for the 'vert and one in my 323i. They are very high quality and the coupe box is pretty amazing in terms of output.

Good luck!
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mario1o1 View Post
      Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on my setup and how I can use adapt this to the E30. I picked up a 318i s50 swapped from my old college buddy a few days ago and immediately fell in love. The car is without a stereo system and I figured I'll move my MR2 components since its progressively becoming an unbearable track car.

I have:
      Deck: Pioneer DEH-80PRS
      Component Set; 2 tweets 2 mids: Polk Audio DXi6501
      Mono Amplifier: Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-D1200M 400 watts @ 4 ohm Amplifier
      Sub Woofer: Pioneer Stage 4 10" Subwoofer

Will buy:
      10" Luke Box, Once I identify the rest of the components.

In the MR2 all I needed were the front speakers since its a two seater but I was wondering what I should use for rear speakers? or use rear speakers at all?

Should I get another 4 channel amp, run mids and tweeters up front and run coax in the rear?

Any help is appreciated. I was/still am an MR2 fanatic but the e30 is my mistress and I want to see how great I can make it.

Thanks,
      Mario
      Mario, the standard E3010 is intended for 300 to 600 watts, not giant woofers like that beast.

If you want to use that woofer, you will need to use one of our VM series enclosures. I am pretty sure it won't even come close to fitting any of our "Luke box" series.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Bahhh. Might as well leave it in the other car and get a different setup that's e30 specific.

Comment

Shoot bud, sorry. There are tons of great woofers out there for like $50 that make great bass I our boxes, let me know if I can help

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
          X