need help repairing chewed wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help repairing chewed wiring

On my e30, from one particular winter i had a bit of a mouse problem. a few of the wires under the hood were chewed up by mice. At least they didnt' go thru the harness, and only chewed up little bits into the harness.

I'd like to repair thsi damage with patches of wire I got from a wrecked e30 (same color, same guage, etc)

From my understanding, the best way to splice the new wiring into the old harness is to cut out the bad patches, and solder in good wiring and then follow up the patches with a nice and tight shrink tube to seal out as much water and dirt as possible.

Can anyone offer any advise as to what solder I should be using (specs).

Also, is there a better way to make this connection using other methods?

thanks in advance
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

I'd think twice about soldering if you don't even know what solder to use. Soldering is a skill and takes a lot of practise to do properly.

Buy a good set of crimpers, some uninsulated butt connectors and do it that way. Making a good crimp is very easy, all you have to do is squeeze. Then shrink tube.

I own these crimpers and they are very good. Got them from Lowe's.

I like to use these butt connectors. They come in different gauge ranges. I like to use uninsulated connectors instead of the typical insulated ones because they are about the same diameter as the wire jacketing, which mean no big lumps.

Order today, ships today. 31819 – Terminal Butt Splice, Inline, Individual Openings Connector Crimp 14-16 AWG from TE Connectivity AMP Connectors. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
    Last edited by AndrewBird; 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Here is a good comparison of a bad solder joint I found in my can and the crimp I fixed it with.

Comment

I thought crimping was garbage...then I saw this

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and this

Id also had those crappy non-ratcheting crimpers...now I know I need to throw them out and get some good ones!

Comment

what about something like this?

Seems to take the guesswork out of soldering, and offers the shrink tubing seal as well...

thanks in advance!

Comment

BMW does not use solder to make wire to wire connections, neither should you.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Finally, the person I was hoping would chime in finally did!

crimping it is then :)

I have some other wiring that's become damaged due to age. Think I'll invest in some good tools and crimps

Comment

what guage of crimping would I mostly be using (when stocking up on non-insulated connectors)?

also, anyone know a good place for heat shrink tubing? (online or in store)

thanks in advance

Comment

Get your connectors and the heat shrink at NAPA

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X