Boost gauge and wideband install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boost gauge and wideband install

Hey guys any tips on installing these?? I was going to hook them up to the radio but the radio wires were redone to an aftermarket radio and what is blue was once purple and what is red was once some other striped color.

Where is a solid place to hook these up and which wire goes on what?

Sorry for the neb question but electronics

They are both AEM, wideband and boost gauge

These are the instructions that came with them.

Maybe try to wire it into the the power side of the ignition switch, so that way it'll turn on and off when the key is on. that's just me thinking I'm not too sure if it will work.
    Or you can get power from the battery junction in the front of the car and just add a switch every time you want to turn on the gauges because you'll have constant power without a switch.

If you figure it out please post back.id like to know aswell.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by efficient; 12-23-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Your 100% on the power side of the ignition switch. Just not sure which wires go where. I can figure out positive and ground. The low power and serial output is something Im not familiar with

Comment

If you are only using them for gauges and not connecting them any other devices, like a data recorder or aftermarket ECU, then you can probably just ignore (leave them unconnected) the 0-5v outputs and serial wires

Comment

Originally posted by justrack View Post
          If you are only using them for gauges and not connecting them any other devices, like a data recorder or aftermarket ECU, then you can probably just ignore (leave them unconnected) the 0-5v outputs and serial wires
          This.

All you need to do is hook up power and ground on both. Like others have said, switched power would be best. There is an accessory fuse box in the engine bay clipped onto the main fuse box. This guy:

Should have spots for 2 fuses, one switched and one constant. Hook them up here and use the appropriate size fuse for both gauges. Hook the ground wires to the closest grounding point under the dash, or screw them to a bare spot on the chassis somewhere.

Comment

Scratch some of that. You have a late model, so your auxiliary fuse box looks like this (upper right):

Not sure of the wiring on the later style, but you should still be able to make it work.

Comment

For a switched 12v, I used the defroster switch.
              For a hot 12v, I used the cig lighter I think.
              For ground, I used the ECU's ground (passenger shock tower nut).
              Your output wire on the wideband, if using standalone ECU or data logger, splices into the O2's signal wire.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

thanks guys. AEMs instructions wanted the boost and sideband to be on a switched 12V. I ended up running them both to the radio. Left 0-5V and output untouched. Ill have pictures up on my build thread. Everything works great.

Comment

Nice. I've read multiple times of people advising against using the radio for a switched 12v because of some sort of interference when it's in use, but I don't know anything about that subject so glad it worked out for you!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                  X