Convertible Sound System Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertible Sound System Build

I recently finished overhauling most of the mechanical systems and painting my convertible and have started on the new sound system. I installed a Pioneer DEH-X8600 head unit with a Precision Power amp, E34 mid-bass speakers and Dayton tweeters (as recommended by Luke). I built a second order Linkwitz-Riley crossover with 6K hi pass and 5K low pass. It sounds pretty darn good but could still use something. It *almost* has enough bass for my taste and I will likely end up installing a sub. The tweeters are a little bright (very pronounced "S" sounds) and there is a slight upper midrange resonance that is a little annoying. I have the 3.15kHz band on the head units equalizer turned way down to compensate.

Does anyone have any suggestions (Luke)? I'm wondering if a Zobel circuit on the mid- bass would help and whether I should adjust the crossover frequency's.

I'm almost sold on Luke's subwoofer box but it's going to mean carrying one less set of clubs which is likely to have a negative impact on one of my kids handicap. Other than Luke's solution it looks like building a sealed or ported box into the dead space is the only other possibility. Has anyone tried this with good results. I'm willing cut one or both sides as open as necessary and weld in reinforcements if it will save my trunk space and sound good.

Some pics for your enjoyment:

New Paint, blacked trim, new wheels, Taurus side skirts (yes they work on a vert), M-Tech I spoiler, Racing Dynamics rear apron:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7242157

Pioneer head unit and my cup /phone holder solution:

Name:	pic4.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	7242160

Cassidy helping dad build the crossover:

Name:	pic5.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	7242161

Completed crossover and amp board:

Name:	pic2.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	7242158

Rear Speakers:

Name:	pic3.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	7242159
    Last edited by pgaustin; 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM.
    If you catch me talking to myself in the garage, I'm probably just discussing fuel equations with the engineer...
    sigpic
Working...
X